Countdown to Christmas Cookies Series –Week 2
As I continue with the Countdown to Christmas Cookies series this week I wanted to feature a cookie that has been a traditional cookie we serve every year, Rum Balls.
This recipe is from my mother and every year she makes these delicious little chocolate balls that include rum. The hint of rum combined with the cocoa makes these Rum Balls a treat that you just want to keep popping in your mouth.
These are simple to make, and requires no baking. If you have never made rum balls, I hope you give these a try as they are always a hit!
There are many ways to coat these little confections. You can roll them in nuts, sprinkles, dip them in chocolate but for our family, year after year my mother simply rolls them in confectioners sugar, which is like a dusting of snow and serves them on a platter. These make for the perfect holiday treat.
Serves: 4 dozen
- 11 ounce box of vanilla wafer cookies, broken in to finely chopped crumbs
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup confectioners sugar plus ½ cup for dusting
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup light or dark rum
- ⅓ cup Karo light or dark corn syrup
- In a large bowl stir together vanilla wafer crumbs, chopped pecans, 1 cup confectioners sugar and unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Stir in rum and corn syrup until blended.
- Shape in to 1 inch balls and roll in confectioners sugar.
- Store in a tightly covered container.