There is a local Italian restaurant that we love. Last Friday Mr. Mother Thyme and I had a much overdue date night. It seems anytime we get a chance to go out for dinner we always go there. We just love the ambiance and the food that we go back every chance we get.
We had a lovely dinner. I ordered my usual Lobster Ravioli that is topped with a delicious prosecco cream sauce (I am working on a recipe for that) which is just fabulous. As full as I get from ordering an appetizer and salad I seem to always have room to eat this entire dish.
Our first course was a delicious Arugula Pizza which was on the specials menu for the evening. It was fantastic. A thin crust pizza with prosciutto and goat cheese and topped with fresh arugula. I could have just eaten that and been satisfied.
I enjoyed the Arugula Pizza so much I recreated it. This is so similar to the one we enjoyed at the restaurant; perfect for a weeknight dinner.
In my recipe I used a simple store bought pizza dough. I make my own pizza dough often but for this I wanted to use a thin crust premade dough which really worked well, plus saves a little time. I topped the crust with a simple arugula pesto, shredded mozzarella, chopped prosciutto, sun dried tomatoes and crumbled goat cheese. Once the pizza is baked, I sprinkle with fresh baby arugula leaves and drizzle with a balsamic reduction.
Serves: 4-6 servings
- 1 11oz package of Pillsbury Thin Crust Pizza Dough tube
- 1 teaspoon cornmeal
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup arugula pesto (recipe below)
- 2½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ⅓ cup prosciutto, chopped (about 2-3 slices)
- ⅓ cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 4oz goat cheese
- 1½ cup baby arugula leaves
- Dash of fresh ground black pepper
- Arugula Pesto
- 1½ cups baby arugula leaves
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped or shelled walnuts (or pine nuts)
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic (1-2 cloves)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out dough to a 11"x14" on a greased dark or non-stick baking sheet. Sprinkle bottom of dough with cornmeal and bake crust in a preheated oven for about 5 minutes.
- Add balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan over medium low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until liquid reduces in half, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread pesto on crust. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella, chopped prosciutto, sun dried tomatoes. Crumble goat cheese on top and sprinkle with a freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake in oven for an additional 8-10 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- Let cool slightly. Top with baby arugula leaves and drizzle with balsamic reduction.
- Arugula Pesto
- In a food processor combined arugula leaves, Parmesan cheese, walnuts and garlic and chop until combined and arugula leaves are chopped. With food processor running, stream in olive oil until creamy.