The Countdown to Christmas Cookies series is back!
For the next 6 weeks I will be featuring a cookie perfect for your holiday baking. Last year I featured cookies such as Red Velvet Cookies, Rum Balls, and an all-time favorite Lofthouse Sugar Cookies.
This year I have another great lineup in store. So start baking now and freeze your cookies. You’ll be happy you did when you need them during the holidays!
First up are these Cowboy Cookies. A few weeks ago I featured a Brunch Pizza that was in the Taste of Home special edition Best Holiday Recipe. One Mother Thyme reader was lucky to win a copy of these holiday publications. If you didn’t win last time, I have some great news! My friends at Taste of Home are giving another Mother Thyme reader a copy of these special edition holiday publications!
This recipe for Cowboy Cookies is featured in the Taste of Home Best Loved Cookies and Candies. There are so many fabulous cookie recipes that I had Mr. Mother Thyme pick; I think he made a good choice. If you are a coconut, walnut, chocolate chip, oatmeal cookie lover, these are the cookies for you.
Last year I did Cowboy cookies in a jar as gifts. My thought is to do the same thing this year with this recipe. You will just need to cut the recipe in half to put in a one quart mason jar excluding the wet ingredients, of course. The recipient will just need to add butter, and egg and vanilla.
Whether you decide to turn this into a holiday gift or to make for a cookie exchange, these will be a perfect addition to your holiday cookie collection!
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread coconut and nuts on a large baking sheet and bake for 6 minutes until toasted, stirring every few minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugars until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt and gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Stir in toasted nuts, coconut, oats and chocolate chips.
- Drop tablespoon size balls onto greased baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes until brown. Cool on wire racks.
Adapted from Taste of Home Best Loved Cookies and Candies 2012