As much as I would love to talk about potty training two year old’s today I think I would rather take a break for a moment to talk about food.
The one thing I have had success with recently is getting my picky two year old’s to eat carrots. Sometimes a mom has to do what a mom has to do to get them to eat their veggies, even if it means to sneak it in muffins. They loved these so much, they inhaled them. If they only knew, right?
I love carrot cake. It’s probably my favorite next to red velvet, or a cassata cake. Carrot cake reminds me of Spring and Easter. Don’t ask me why because I could eat carrot cake anytime of year. As much as I would love to make a triple layer carrot cake with a thick cream cheese frosting that is full of calories I certainly could do without, I opted to make a healthy carrot cake muffin. These muffins have all the flavor of carrot cake without all the extra calories. I actually cut out the oil and butter completely and substituted crushed pineapple that goes so well with carrot cake anyways. Trust me, you don’t miss the butter or oil in these.
I top these off with a light cream cheese glaze with just a touch of cinnamon, which if it was up to me I would just eat the entire bowl of this with a spoon. I have also made these before substituting the light cream cheese with mascarpone for a nice touch as well. The light cream cheese has a little less calories, but either way its the perfect topping to these muffins. They are not overly sweet but you won’t miss it. Best part, these muffins are about 182 calories each with the cream cheese glaze without sacrificing flavor.
These freeze great. I would just suggest freezing them without the glaze and just adding the glaze when needed. To save a step and calories, you could easily sprinkle the tops with a dusting of confectioners sugar as well.
Now back to potty training. Wish me luck!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup coconut flakes
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup skim milk
- ½ cup crushed pineapple
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups finely shredded carrots
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 4 ounces light cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line muffin tin with liners or spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, coconut flakes, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add in milk, pineapple, eggs, vanilla.
- Stir all ingredients together until combined.
- Fold in carrots and cranberries.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin ¾ full each.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown and tester inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly in pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Stir together using a whisk or an electric mixer until creamy.
- Dip top of muffins into glaze and set on wire rack until glaze has dried.
More carrot cake recipes~
Pumpkin Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting
Carrot Cake Steel Cut Oats
Carrot Cake Brownies ~ Crazy For Crust