I haven’t fallen off the face of the earth, things have just been crazy lately. Like I mentioned last week, Mr. Mother Thyme had surgery and has been recovering at home. On top of my daily mommy duties I have been playing nurse. Also, we have had such a nice stretch of weather the past week and a half that after months of being couped up inside, I have been outside with the kids and working in the yard.
Lately, I have been enjoying this Italian hummus, and now it has a permanent parking spot in the refrigerator. It is perfect to grab and snack on while taking a break from gardening with pita or tortilla chips. This recipe really started out as a hodge podge of ingredients that I was trying to use up in the pantry. Somehow I accumulated about 5 cans of chickpeas. I like to toss them in my salads, and make roasted chickpeas for the kids, and of course to make hummus. For this recipe, I toss the chickepeas along with cannellini beans in the food processor and add lots of yummy Italian ingredients like sun-dried tomatoes, Parmesan cheese and fresh rosemary. This hummus is so good, even Mr. Mother Thyme who is not a big hummus eater was diving into the bowl.
If you love hummus or even a good dip, this is a definite must try. Perfect with tortilla or pita chips of course, but it makes a great spread for sandwiches and wraps in place of mayonnaise. I also love to spread this in a pita, loading it with fresh veggies and some feta cheese. Just talking about it makes me want to make one now.
Seriously, this is some good stuff.
Now back to mulching and chasing the kids…
- 15.5 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 15.5 ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly cracked black pepper
- ½-3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place all the ingredients except olive oil in a food processor.
- Blend on high and stream in olive oil while blending until smooth and desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Find my next cookbook Summer Thyme available exclusively on Amazon May 31st!