I am a sucker for a good cannoli.
Every so often I get a huge craving for a cannoli. And once I get something in my mind I want, I can’t stop thinking about it. I have been doing so good with eating right and going to the gym, I wasn’t going to let a
little craving for a cannoli blow it.
I love ricotta cheese. It is something I always have on hand. I love it for breakfast or a snack on bread drizzled with a little honey. The creamy texture of ricotta is perfect in so many sweet and savory dishes.
I recently created this recipe that has all the flavors of a cannoli with less guilt. This recipes uses low fat ricotta cheese that only has 50 calories per serving and 2 grams of fat. To the ricotta add a few spoonfuls of powdered sugar, a handful of mini chocolate chips, a splash of vanilla and you have the filling ready to go. Instead of using a cannoli shell, I use a small 6 inch soft taco shell that is rolled with the filling then quickly browned in the skillet. The end result is a fun little Cannoli Wrap that makes a tasty snack. I have even used a round cookie cutter and cut the shells even smaller to make mini wraps that are cute for the kids, or even as little desserts.
- 15 ounce low fat or part skim ricotta cheese
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar plus additional for dusting
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4-5 (6-inch) soft taco shells
- Spray a medium skillet with cooking spray and preheat over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl mix ricotta cheese, powdered sugar, chocolate chips and vanilla until combined.
- Divide mixture between shells and tightly roll up. Place wrap seam side down in skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes until lightly brown. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes longer.
- Allow to cool. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.