Make tonight takeout night with sweet Honey Sesame Chicken cooked in the crock pot for a simple meal that is full of flavor. Serve over rice or noodles for a simple and delicious meal.
The other day I received an order from Bath and Body Works that included Pumpkin Cupcake, Autumn Day and Nutmeg and Spice candles. I think its safe to say I’m ready for fall. I’ve always been like this. I get anxious for fall in late July, and Christmas in November. In March I’m ready for winter to finally end and summer to begin. That’s probably why I didn’t last long living in Florida, I missed the change of seasons.
No matter what season it is, I always enjoy meals in the crock pot. They take only minutes to prep, it doesn’t heat up the kitchen on a hot summer day, and in 4-8 hours dinner is ready.
It has been a busy summer. Many days I am outside all day chasing the kids around the yard or spending hours in the pool. After a long day, it is nice to come inside to dinner ready thanks to my handy crock pot. Instead of ordering takeout, it is easy to create delicious takeout inspired dishes in the crockpot like my Honey Sesame Chicken. This tender shredded chicken is simmered in a sweet honey sauce. Serve over rice or even noodles for an simple dinner you are going to love.
What you need
Low sodium soy sauce
Light Brown Sugar
Salt and pepper
Green onion or chives for serving
Cooked rice or noodles for serving
Step one: Lightly season chicken with salt and pepper.
Step two: Combine ingredients in a small bowl and stir until blended.
Step three: Pour sauce over chicken and stir to coat. Cook for 4-8 hours (depending on low or high setting) until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Step four: Carefully remove chicken and set aside to cool.
Step five: Mix cornstarch with liquid from the crock pot until cornstarch is dissolved. Pour mixture back into remaining sauce in the crock pot.
Step six: Shred chicken, add back into crock pot and toss with sauce. Continue to cook for and additional 15-20 minutes until sauce is thickened. Whip up some rice or noodles and dinner is served. Yum!
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup honey
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped green onion or chives for serving (optional)
- Cooked rice or noodles for serving (optional)
- Lightly season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Spray crock pot with cooking spray and place seasoned chicken in crock pot.
- In a small bowl combine honey, soy sauce, tomato paste, brown sugar, sesame oil and garlic and stir until combined. Pour over chicken and toss to coat.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours until chicken is cooked thoroughly. Remove chicken from crock pot and set aside.
- In a small bowl add 1/4 cup of liquid from crock pot and stir with cornstarch until cornstarch is dissolved. Stir mixture back into remaining sauce in crock pot.
- When chicken is cool to touch, shred chicken into pieces. Add chicken back into the crock pot and toss to coat with sauce. Continue to cook for 15-20 minutes until sauce is thickened.
- Serve over rice or noodles. Sprinkle chicken with sesame seeds and chopped chives or green onion.