I love to pair red wine with a good juicy burger. At the end of a long week, it’s nice to sit on the back patio grilling some burgers, chatting with friends and sipping a glass of wine as we watch the sunset. It was one of those evenings that actually made me think of this recipe, why not incorporate red wine into the burger. Wow! Where has this burger been all my life? These Red Wine Burgers are the ultimate gourmet burger, perfect if hosting a casual cookout with friends. The red wine adds such a rich flavor. These tasty red wine burgers combine lean ground beef with crumbled gorgonzola, crispy bacon, onions and glazed with a red wine reduction, served on ciabatta rolls.
One thing I love to do is try new wines. I am fortunate to live near an amazing wine store that is filled to the brim with wines. I often find myself getting lost in there looking at the selection. I always like to go on the hunt for a good wine at a good price, meaning under $15.00. I was recently introduced to Arrogant Frog wines from Domaines Paul Mas which come from the Languedco region of Southern France.
Whether you are hosting a dinner party, having movie night with friends or just looking for a good bottle of wine, it’s always nice to have a red and white wine on hand. Arrogant Frog Chardonnay is fresh and light with fruity notes, perfect to serve chilled with seafood, white meats or even fruit desserts.
Arrogant Frog Pinot Noir is a medium-bodied wine with a long-lasting finish, perfect to serve at your next wine and cheese tasting. You can pick up a bottle of these wines available at Beverages and More for under $15.00 a bottle. Cheers to a great deal on a lovely bottle of wine!
This Sunday is Bastille Day. Fire up the grill and celebrate with these amazing red wine burgers that you will love!
- 1 cup pinot noir or good dark red wine
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 large sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- ¼ cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese plus additional for serving
- 2 tablespoons crumbled cooked bacon (about 2-3 strips)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Few cracks of fresh black pepper
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- In a small saucepan bring wine, brown sugar and rosemary to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until liquid reduces to ½ cup, about 7-8 minutes. Remove rosemary and set aside to cool, reserving 2 tablespoons for serving.
- In a large bowl add ground beef, onion, gorgonzola, bacon, garlic, worcestershire, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of red wine reduction. Mix until combined. Form into 4 equal size patties.
- Preheat grill or a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add burgers and cook for about 5-7 minutes. Flip and brush with some of the remaining red wine reduction and cook for 5-7 minutes longer. Flip again and brush with red wine reduction and cook until desired doneness.
- Place burgers on rolls, drizzle with reserved reduction, top with additional cheese and serve.
Quick bacon tip: Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with foil and place desired amount of bacon strips on baking sheet. Cook for 18-20 minutes until crispy.
Disclosure: I received wine to sample for review. I was not compensated for this post. All opinions, as always are my own.