If you need dessert and are tight on time, this Pumpkin Cake is the perfect solution. Top with a creamy Butter Pecan Frosting or just with a dusting of confectioners sugar for a yummy treat.
Is it wrong that I thought about making this cake during spin class?
I have been taking spin classes at my gym for a few months now. I’m addicted. I’m not going to lie, I was terrified about taking the class at first. I’ve heard about it and I thought for sure I would be one of those people that wouldn’t be able to last five minutes in the class. Thankfully my trainer is also one of the spin instructors and has been trying to convince me to take the class for months. After the first class, not only did I make it through without passing out, but I was hooked.
I look forward to spin class each week. It’s a way that I release all the clutter in my head and just get into the zone. It is also a time when I come up with some really good recipes. After class I’m running to the locker room writing down the ideas I come up with. This easy Pumpkin Cake with Butter Pecan Frosting is one of my ideas. So much for burning 500 calories during spin, right? I have a weakness for fall treats. It is worth every bite and worth every drop of sweat burning it off.
My kiddos keep me very active so I like to create meals and desserts that are easy and don’t sacrafice flavor. I love this Pumpkin Cake because it is a simple dessert to make when tight on time. You don’t even need to break out the mixer to prepare the cake. It is baked in an 8-inch baking pan so it’s the perfect size if you need just a little dessert to serve after dinner. I also like the compact size so there isn’t as much leftover that may tempt me when the craving hits.
This Pumpkin Cake is soft and moist and topped with a creamy Butter Pecan Frosting that you will be tempted to eat with just a spoon. It can also be served alone or just with a light dusting of confectioners sugar for a great snacking cake.
What you need
Light brown sugar
Step one: In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt and spices.
Step two: In a medium bowl stir pumpkin, sugar, milk, egg and melted butter until blended.
Step three: While stirring, pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until just combined.
Step four: Pour into a greased 8-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
Step five: In a small saucepan melt butter, brown sugar and milk over medium heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Set aside to cool slightly.
Step six: In a large mixing bowl beat confectioners sugar and butter using an electric mixer.
Step seven: Pour in brown sugar mixture and beat until blended.
Step eight: Spread on top of cooled cake. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup solid pumpkin
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves.
- In a medium bowl stir pumpkin, sugar, milk, butter and egg until blended.
- While stirring pour wet ingredients into flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake for about 30 minutes until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake on a wire rack completely before frosting.
- In a small saucepan add brown sugar,milk and 1 tablespoon butter and stir over medium heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl beat remaining confectioners sugar and remaining butter with an electric mixer. While mixing, stir in brown sugar mixture until creamy. If consistency is still thin, add a little more confectioners sugar if needed.
- Frost cake and sprinkle with chopped pecans.