A delicious Roasted Turkey Fall Salad loaded with crisp apples, bacon, cranberries, candied pecans, gorgonzola cheese and tossed in a Maple Poppy Seed Dressing.
I am totally in love with this salad. It has all the wonderful flavors of fall like crisp apples, dried cranberries, candied pecans and turkey tossed in one delicious salad. Let me not forget to mention the dressing. Oh, this dressing. A sweet Maple Poppy Seed Dressing adds the final touch to this incredible salad. You will want to add this dressing to all of your salads.
I have made this salad several times just this fall. I recently made it for a picnic we had at the lake. If you follow me on Instagram, you probably have seen me post pictures of the lake. We have an RV that we spend most of our weekends in by the lake. We just got the RV earlier this year, and it has been an incredible experience. Mr. Mother Thyme and I have looked at them for years, even before the kids. We finally decided to get one this year since we thought the kids would enjoy it, and they definitely have. We have enjoyed hiking, fishing, campfires and quality family time.
What I love about this resort we go to is it is about an hour from where we live, so we can go there often. It was a beautiful week last week, so we took a picnic there to enjoy one afteroon. This salad was on the menu. It is a filling salad with the roasted turkey. What I like to do is I get two thick slices of deli roasted turkey and then cube it. It is such a great addition to this salad. This salad is a meal in itself. Serve with a fresh loaf of bread, and your meal is complete.
What you need
White distilled vinegar
Apple cider vinegar
Deli-style oven roasted turkey
Granny Smith apple
Step one: Melt butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small saucepan until sugar is dissolved.
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons buter
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- ½ cup pecan halves
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 pound deli-style oven roasted turkey cut about ½ inch thick (about 2 slices), cubed
- 1 Granny Smith apple, chopped
- 4-5 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- ⅓ cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- In a food processor or blender mix water, maple syrup, vinegars, cornstarch, salt and ground mustard until blended, about 20-30 seconds.
- Stir in poppy seeds.
- Pour dressing into a small saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until dressing thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Pour into a jar and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- In a small saucepan melt butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in pecans.
- Spread pecans on wax paper and set aside.
- In a large salad bowl toss lettuce with turkey, apples, bacon, gorgonzola cheese, dried cranberries and candied pecans.
- When ready to serve toss with desired amount of dressing or serve dressing on the side.