Fresh cranberries simmered until tender and mixed with old-fashioned rolled oats for a delicious and hearty breakfast.
Holiday Breakfast Ideas — Week 4
I love waking up to a warm bowl of oatmeal on a cold winter’s day. During the holidays I love to incorporate cranberries into a variety of recipes including in this Cranberry Oatmeal. Fresh cranberries add a great texture and flavor to this yummy bowl of oatmeal.
This would make a great addition to your Christmas breakfast menu. This recipe serves four, so depending on how many people you are serving you may want to double the recipe. You could make this as directed then transfer to a pretty holiday casserole dish, top with brown sugar and place under the broiler to get a nice caramelized topping. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts and add to your holiday breakfast buffet along with a variety of muffins and pastries or simply enjoy alone.
- 2 cups water
- 6 ounces fresh cranberries (roughly 1⅔ cup)
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- In a large saucepan bring to a boil over medium heat ½ cup water, cranberries, sugars, cinnamon and ginger.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until mixture thickens slightly and cranberries become tender and burst, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 1½ cups water, rolled oats, vanilla extra and salt.
- Return to a boil over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally for about 3-5 minutes.
- Cover and remove from heat. Let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve warm or place in oven safe ramekins and sprinkle with brown sugar. Place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes until topping is caramelized.
- Top with chopped nuts.