Spinach and spring lettuce mix that you can easily grab at your local grocery store is mixed with chicken, berries, pancetta, walnuts and goat cheese for a delicious Nut and Berry Chicken Salad, and tossed in a delicious Strawberry Poppy Seed Dressing.
I love this time of year in Western New York. The flowers are blooming and everything is coming to life. After the long cold winter we had, I love to finally get outside and enjoy the fresh air.
Along with the nicer weather, the local Farmer Markets begin to open. A few weeks ago my favorite market opened for the season. Although the produce is still slim for another few months, I still enjoy going to take the kids and walk around. Not only do they have great produce in season, but there is a variety of other items like cheese, meats and plants I like to get.
This Nut and Berry Chicken Salad is perfect for the warmer months ahead. With plenty of fresh strawberries at the store, this yummy Strawberry Poppy Seed Dressing completes the salad. I love salads, especially in the summer months. They are quick and easy to toss together. You can have everything from your fruit, veggie, starch and protein all in one tasty bowl.
- 1 cup fresh chopped strawberries
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sweet onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 package (5 ounce) spinach and spring lettuce mix (or similar)
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast, diced (about 1 large chicken breast)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup goat cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 3 ounces pancetta, cooked (or cooked crumbled bacon)
- In a food processor or blender add strawberries, balsamic vinegar, onion, sugar and salt and blend until smooth.
- While running, stream in olive oil and poppy seeds.
- Chill in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Toss all ingredients in a large salad bowl.
- Before serving toss with desired amount of dressing.