Make tonight pizza night with this yummy Meatball Pizza!
Move over pepperoni, there is a new pizza in town.
This Meatball Pizza is crazy good! It is not your average slice of pizza. You just have to try it to see for yourself.
Friday nights is pizza night at casa de Dempsey. Recently I was whipping up my favorite pizza dough and sauce to make a simple pepperoni pizza for dinner when this idea for a Meatball Pizza came into my head. With leftover meatballs on hand from my Meatball Sub Casserole, I couldn’t resist trying this out. I took all the yumminess from the Meatball Sub Casserole and added it to this Meatball Pizza. This is not your typical Meatball Pizza with just sauce, meatballs and cheese. Underneath the meatballs, cheese and sauce is a layer of creamy deliciousness made of cream cheese, mayo and Italian seasoning.
Mr. Mother Thyme can’t get enough of this pizza, and for good reason. It is so tasty!
What makes the ultimate homemade pizza? For me it’s good dough, sauce and cheese.
Grabbing store bought pizza dough is convenient, but you can easily make your own. I have used the same pizza dough recipe for years. It always turns out perfect. I recently tweaked my go-to recipe slightly. I now use a dough hook on my electric mixer. It makes it even easier!
If you are busy during the week, whip up some pizza dough over the weekend and wrap it in plastic wrap then pop it in a freezer bag. When ready to whip up a pizza, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight or on the kitchen counter for a few hours.
Unless you have a favorite store bought pizza sauce or you can purchase sauce from your favorite pizza shop, making pizza sauce is super easy, and cheaper too! If you have a can of tomato sauce and a few key spices on hand, you can whip up a tasty pizza sauce in no time. Tomato sauce is something I always have on hand for a variety of recipes. When I make sauce, I will often double the batch and freeze the rest so I always have some on hand for an impromptu pizza night.
Sure it’s convenient to grab a bag of shredded mozzarella cheese, but it is worth the few minutes to shred it yourself. Freshly shredded cheese no matter it is for pizza, or any other recipe is worth the time it take to shred it. Not only does it melt better, it tastes better too.
Once you have these three key pizza ingredients on hand, you will want to make every night pizza night! No wonder why pizza is one of the most popular recipes. What’s not to love about it?
Love pizza? Be sure to check out my Buffalo Chicken Ranch Pizza too!
- 1 cup warm water (make sure it is not hot.)
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon olive oil plus additional for coating the bowl
- 3¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup pizza sauce (homemade or your favorite store bought brand)
- 4 cups freshly shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¾ pound store bought frozen beef or turkey meatballs thawed or homemade, sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl combine warm water, yeast and sugar. Let sit for about 5-10 minutes until yeast proofs (it will be nice and bubbly).
- Add oil, flour,and salt. Using a dough hook attachment, mix ingredients on medium speed for about 5 or 6 minutes until dough comes together and forms a ball.
- Lightly oil a large bowl. Add the dough and coat with olive oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise (double in size) for an hour.
- After dough has doubled in size either freeze ball or if ready to use, punch dough down and roll out.
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees.
- Roll dough out on a clean surface using a rolling pin until dough is even. Spray 16-inch pizza pan with cooking spray. Place on pan.
- In a small bowl mix cream cheese, mayonnaise and Italian seasoning. Spread on top of crust. Top with pizza sauce, cheese and meatballs.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown.
- Sprinkle with basil and let sit for 4 minutes and serve.