Easy Salted Chocolate Chunk Congo Bars loaded with chunks of dark chocolate and topped with fleur de sel or sea salt. These are truly irresistible!
I have a thing for Congo Bars that goes back, wayyyy back.
Growing up I always remember laid back summer picnics enjoying Macaroni Salad, Pinky Winky, and Salt Potatoes. To this day I still have cravings for those foods. The funny thing is, I only want them in the summer. I guess you could say it’s a summer thing, because surely Pinky Winky just wouldn’t be the same in the fall (enter sarcasm.) If you are wondering what Pinky Winky is and I’m sure you are, it is a family recipe that combines cottage cheese, cool whip, mandarin oranges, crushed pineapple and raspberry jello mix. I have no clue how it got its name, but that is what we have always called it. The recipe is actually in my Summer Thyme cookbook. Summer just wouldn’t be the same without it.
What reminds me most of summer picnics as a kid is a tray of Congo Bars made by yours truly. Congo Bars are actually cookie bars which make these perfect for a crowd. Serve them with a little scoop of vanilla ice cream for an instant crowd pleaser. I don’t make these often, but when I do it reminds me of making these when I was a wee little Mother Thyme. They taste just like I always remember them.
I couldn’t resist sharing this picture! How funny is this? I should have saved this picture for #TBT. This is me circa 1982 with my Congo Bars. They look just as good back then as they do now! What I can’t wait for is for my kids to do this. They already have a interest and passion for cooking. They love to help me in the kitchen. In the mornings they are right there with me at the counter stirring pancake batter or prepping fruit to make smoothies. I love that my kids are having fun cooking as much as I do!
Recently I was thinking about these since I haven’t made them this summer. I thought I would put a spin on my classic recipe given to me from my mom that I have held onto for years. I added roughly chopped Dove® Dark Chocolate and topped it off with a sprinkle of fleur de sel. Oh my goodness! These are good, really good! You get chunks of smooth Dove® Dark Chocolate in each bite. Not only are they delicious, they are easy to make. Just be warned, once you make these they’ll be gone before you know it. You may secretly want to hide a few so you can enjoy them yourself with a tall glass of cold milk!
- 2⅔ cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1½ bars (3/4 cup) butter, melted
- 2⅔ cup light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 9.5 ounce bag Dove® Dark Chocolates, unwrapped and roughly chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons fleur de sel or sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl mix butter, brown sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla until blended.
- Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients until combined.
- Fold in chopped chocolate.
- Pour into prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle with a little salt.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes until cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool pan on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares and sprinkle with a little more salt if desired. Serve or store in an airtight container.
Disclaimer: Compensation was provided by Dove® Dark Chocolate via MomTrends. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions of Dove or Momtrends.