Black Forest Chocolate Mug Cake – Warm and chocolatey mug cake topped with cherry pie filling, whipped cream and sliced almonds. Ready in 2 minutes!
Everything in moderation, right?
I’m kind of obsessed with mug cakes. They are great when watching portion control, and they are so easy Mr. Mother Thyme can even make them! I’m not exaggerating when I say that on several occasions when I’m cozy in bed and the craving strikes for a warm piece of cake when I’m watching Downton Abbey or Real Housewives I have sent Mr. Mother Thyme to the kitchen to whip a mug cake up for one. I love them so much that I don’t have to go through the trouble of whipping up an entire cake that will then tempt me to want to eat it all myself.
I bet you have all the ingredients on hand to whip up a mug cake right now. With a few minutes of prep time you can have this tasty mug cake ready to pop in the microwave. By the time you have all the ingredients put away your microwave will beep and your cake is ready to dive into.
This is not just an ordinary chocolate mug cake. Which by the way if that is all you want, by all means make this cake and dive in, or dust it with just a little confectioners sugar. This chocolate cake is easily transformed into a delicious Black Forest Chocolate Mug Cake topped with a scoop of ready made cherry pie filling, whipped cream and sprinkled with sliced almonds. This is one amazing and effortless little perfectly portioned cake for 2, or in most cases for 1. Just grab a spoon and you are ready to dig in.
So cuddle up with your sweetie this Valentine’s Day and try this little mug cake. If you have never tried a mug cake before, prepare yourself. Once you do you will quickly become obsessed with them like I am.
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- ⅛ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons ready-made cherry pie filling
- 2 tablespoons whipped cream
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- In a large mug whisk together milk, vegetable oil, egg and vanilla extract until blended. Stir in sugar.
- Scoop and level flour and place in mug with cocoa powder and a pinch of salt and mix with wet ingredients until combined.
- Place mug in microwave and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Carefully remove from microwave. Top with cherries, whipped cream and almonds.
- Serve warm.