Are you drooling over this salad?
I am! It’s seriously one of my faves. It is loaded with a ton of goodness like chickpeas, kalamata olives, feta, tuna and tossed in an irresistible dressing. Once you start eating it it’s hard to stop. I love to make it for lunch and nibble at it during the week, however it never lasts that long.
Of course like any recipe it’s totally customizable but trust me if you make this complete recipe you won’t be disappointed. I used to make this without tuna and then one time I thought what the heck I’ll add some tuna in it and wowza! It’s really good! Every since then I always make this salad with tuna. If you don’t like tuna you could add in some shredded chicken instead or just leave it out completely. Like I said it’s totally customizable.
And I have to give a shout out to the chickpeas in this salad. I have a soft spot for them. A few of my favorite go-to salads is my Chickpea and Edamame Salad and Chickpea Pesto Salad which I know a lot of you enjoy too. And let’s not forget another lunchtime my favorite, my Smashed Avocado and Chickpea Salad Sandwich – another definite must try for all you chickpea lovers!
The one thing I definitely recommend with the chickpeas is the remove the skins which I also mention in the recipe. I’ve gotten on the kick after rinsing and draining my chickpeas to also remove the skins because honestly I can’t stand them. I have a little method which I’ll wrap them in a clean towel and roll them back and forth on the kitchen counter a few times and those flaky skins fall right off! Not only will you not have to worry about picking those little skins out of your salad I think it makes the chickpeas a little crunchier too.
I could go on and on about this salad but it’s really one you’ll want to try. It’s perfect for munching on for lunch, to make for a picnic tucked in little mason jars or just because you want to. You get the picture.
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 15 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed,drained and skins removed
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup crumbled feta
- ½ cup chopeed seeded cucumber
- ⅓ cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 4 ounce can good quality albacore tuna, drained well
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1 tablespoons freshly chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped dill
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Cook orzo per package instructions. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Add cooled orzo to a large bowl and toss together with chickpeas, feta, cucumber, tomato, olives, tuna, onion, mint and dill and season lightly with a pinch of salt.
- In a small mason jar add olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, garlic, dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
- Tightly cover jar and shake well until dressing is blended.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Before serving top with additional feta and chopped herbs if desired.
Tip for removing skins from chickpeas - After chickpeas are rinsed, wrap them in a clean kitchen towel or paper towel and roll them back and forth a few times on the kitchen counter and skins will fall right off.