If you love sweet, soft, caramelized onions and delicious french onion soup, you’re going to absolutely love this One-Pot Creamy French Onion Pasta loaded with caramelized onions, melted swiss cheese in a creamy and delicious sauce.
This One-Pot Creamy French Onion Pasta is definitely one recipe you need to put on the dinner menu! It’s loaded with sweet caramelized onions, penne pasta, melted swiss cheese in a creamy and delicious sauce that you’ll just want drink with a spoon!
A few years ago I featured a recipe for my French Onion Chicken which became a huge hit and for good reason, it’s amazing! Every time I make it it’s gone in seconds! If you’ve tried that recipe before you’ll definitely want to try this one too and if you love anything french onion and haven’t tried either of these recipes yet you’ll want to make them soon!
This One-Pot Creamy French Onion Pasta is a favorite of mine on Meatless Monday, however I could eat this every day if I could.
While this recipe is super easy and all comes together in one pot the majority of the cook time is letting the onions caramelize that can take about 20-25 minutes but is definitely worth the wait. It takes a little bit but you don’t need to hover over the stove while they’re cooking. I stir them every few minutes in between doing other things and before I know it they’re done!
If you are short on time you can prep ahead and cook the onions ahead of time then once you’re ready to make the recipe, heat the onions in a skillet. Once they’re heated through proceed with the remaining recipe and prepare yourself to be treated to one tasty meal!
MORE ONE POT FAVORITES
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sweet onions (about 1 large), peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups beef broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1½ cups shredded swiss cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large oven safe skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and stir to coat with oil. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Cook onions, stirring occasionally to avoid burning until onions are tender and slightly caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add in balsamic vinegar cook for 1-2 minutes longer.
- Add in broth, heavy cream, thyme, pasta and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer for about 15-20 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed and pasta is tender.
- While pasta is cooking preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Once pasta is cooked stir in ½ cup of shredded cheese and sprinkle the top with remaining cheese.
- Transfer skillet to the oven and cook for 5-10 minutes longer until cheese is melted.
- Season to taste is desired and serve.