An easy recipe for Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad loaded with grilled corn and pasta and tossed in an irresistible sauce!
Earlier this year I went to Mexico for the first time! A bunch of my friends and I went on a cruise to Mexico, Honduras and Belize to celebrate one of my dear friends 50th birthday. Mr. Mother Thyme actually surprised me with the trip and I went with just my friends enjoying a week of R&R while he stayed home and watched the kids! I am one blessed and lucky mama!
The cruise was spectacular! I absolutely fell in love with Mexico! It’s hard to believe that I spent nearly 16 years as a travel agent and traveled all over the world but never got to Mexico until now! We spent a day in port in Cozumel and another in Costa Maya. Two days wasn’t enough. I told Mr.Mother Thyme when I got home to get ready to pack his maracas and sombrero as we’re heading to Mexico. From the beautiful beaches, the ambiance and of course the food I just absolutely loved it!
Who doesn’t love Mexican food? I seriously could eat Mexican food everyday. While I was in Mexico I couldn’t wait to get my hands on some authentic Mexican cuisine. I feasted on tacos, guacamole and lots of chips and salsa every chance I could. It was all I ever hoped for!
To celebrate Cinco de Mayo this week I thought I’d share with you my recipe for Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad. You guys, this salad is amazing! Mexican Street Corn, also known as Elotes is simply grilled corn smothered in a creamy sauce that consists of Mexican crema, cotija cheese, cayenne or red pepper for a little kick, lime juice and some cilantro. It’s one of the best things you’ll ever sink your teeth into. Seriously! It just takes your simple corn on the cob to another level or yumminess.
This Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad combines all that goodness from Mexican Street Corn and blends it into this delicious pasta salad. Move over tuna macaroni salad, there’s a new pasta at the picnic! If you’re looking to amp up your pasta salads this summer then Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad needs to be on your list! You’ll be the hit of the picnic if you make this irresistible salad!
- 1 pound rotini pasta
- 6 ears of corn, husks removed
- 1 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- ¾ cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup grated cotija cheese
- 1 cup regular mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- Zest and juice of one lime
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-2 dashes of chipotle chili pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta per package instructions. Drain thoroughly then place pasta in a large bowl and set aside.
- Preheat grill.
- Once grill is nice and hot place corn directly on grates.
- Cook corn for 3-4 minutes per side until corn begins to char.
- Once all sides have been slightly charred, remove from grill.
- Remove corn off the cob standing corn firmly up on a cutting board and with a sharp nice carefully removing kernels.
- Alternatively place a small bowl upside down inside a large mixing bowl. Hold corn standing up on top of inverted bowl and carefully run a down the side of the corn to remove the kernels.
- Reserve about ¾ cup of the kernels and place the remaining kernels in a large bowl along with cooked pasta.
- Add ½ cup cilantro and ½ cup green onion to pasta.
- In a medium bowl mix together grated cotija cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, lime zest and juice, garlic and a dash or two of chipotle chili pepper until blended.
- Season sauce with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce in with pasta and corn and toss to coat.
- Transfer pasta to a serving bowl and top with reserved corn and remaining ½ cup cilantro and ¼ cup green onion.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.