Enjoy a hot summer day with a refreshing glass of Country Thyme Lemonade.
I couldn’t wait to share this recipe. It has been on my mind for months!
This past March Mr. Mother Thyme and I had a little getaway without the kids to Sarasota. We just went for a weekend, but it was great. After the long winter we had, it was nice to feel the hot Florida sun, and the sand in my toes. At the resort we were staying at they served this refreshing cocktail, Country Thyme Lemonade. I fell in love with it. I had so many of them, I lost count! I knew I had to recreate this yummy cocktail so I could enjoy it back home.
Now that summer is finally here, I couldn’t wait to share this perfect summer drink. This recipe starts off with my homemade lemonade. If you love lemonade, you have to try this, even just the lemonade alone. Homemade lemonade is so easy to make it and tastes way better than store bought. My kiddos love it too! It is just water, sugar and lemons. If you just want a cold pitcher of lemonade, try this recipe omitting the rest of the ingredients.
I always have lemons on hand. I actually store them in my crisper in the refrigerator and they last forever. I always add a wedge to my water, and use them in a ton of recipes. I would love if I lived where I could have a lemon tree in my yard.
If you didn’t know by now I have a love for thyme, so I absolutely love this drink. I add a few sprigs of fresh thyme wrapped in bakers twine to infuse the flavor in the simple syrup. If you have lemon thyme which I use, even better. The subtle hint of thyme in the lemonade is simply delicious.
Just a glass of the Country Thyme Lemonade alone is a refreshing treat on a hot summer day. To make this even better, I muddle fresh blueberries with thyme in the bottom of a serving glass. Fill it with ice and pour in the lemonade. Garnish with a few blueberries and a sprig on thyme. And if you want to add a little kick for an adult beverage, add a splash of citron vodka.
This is simple and refreshing; the perfect summer drink or cocktail you will enjoy all summer long.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water plus 4 cups water
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 6 lemons)
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme or lemon thyme plus 10 additional sprigs
- 1- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- In a small saucepan add sugar and 1 cup of water. Wrap 5 sprigs of fresh thyme in bakers twine and place in saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Once cooled, discard thyme.
- Add lemon juice and 4 cups of water to a medium pitcher.
- Stir in cooled mixture. Pour over ice or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Muddle a handful of blueberries (about 1/4 cup or depending on size of serving glass) and a few sprigs of thyme in a serving glass.
- Fill glass with ice. Pour in prepared lemonade.
- Garnish with a few sprigs of thyme and serve.
You can make just simple homemade lemonade following the first 3 lines of directions and omitting the thyme. To make this an adult beverage, add a splash of citron vodka.