Craving takeout? Whip up this quick and easy Vegetable Lo Mein ready in under 30 minutes for a delicious weeknight meal.
Back in the day before marriage and kids I ate Lo Mein regularly. After a long day I would grab a pint of Lo Mein at the local takeout restaurant on my way home from work. I loved to curl up on the couch with my Lo Mein and a glass of white wine and just relax.
Years later I learned that I didn’t have to run to the takeout restaurant to have this. It was just as easy (and cheaper) to make it myself. With a few simple ingredients such as oyster sauce and soy sauce that are common in takeout inspired dishes, you can easily make Lo Mein right in your own kitchen.
Each week I have a takeout dish or two on the menu. It’s fun and easy to make takeout dishes at home and you can customize it to your taste. What makes this Vegetable Lo Mein come together quickly is to use a package of frozen stir-fry veggies. It saves time having to prep and chop and is cheaper too. Of course you can easily toss in cooked chicken, shrimp, pork or steak but I usually like to have this on the menu as a meatless meal.
Love takeout? Try some of these other takeout inspired dishes.
Mandarin Orange Chicken
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli
Vegetable Pad Thai
Lightened up Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry
- 8 ounce (1/2 pound) angel hair pasta (or thin spaghetti)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 3 teaspoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 20 ounce bag frozen stir-fry vegetables
- 3 scallions, chopped
- Cook pasta per package instructions and set aside.
- In a small bowl stir soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, tomato paste, sesame oil, garlic and ginger until blended. Whisk in corn starch.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large deep skillet or wok. Add frozen vegetables and cook thoroughly, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add in pasta and sauce and toss until combined. Reduce heat to low and cook for another 3-4 minutes until sauce is absorbed.
- Garnish with chopped scallions and serve.