Enjoy a classic lasagna for dinner tonight made with fresh and easy homemade lasagna noodles.
If you were to ask Mr. Mother Thyme what one of his favorite dishes I make is he would probably say lasagna. Every time I tell him I’m making it he gets a little twinkle in his eyes. So this past weekend when I told him I was making lasagna for Sunday dinner, I had one very happy husband!
There are so many varieties of lasagna and one thing is that you can change the recipe to your liking. Some people prefer their lasagna with meat and sausage while others like no meat at all. I like making mine with just simple ground beef and I incorporate it in to my pasta sauce, which I featured before. After gathering up a few other key ingredients, such as ricotta, some other cheeses and spices you are ready to make your lasagna.
What I love about this lasagna is making homemade noodles. Sure, it is easy to pick up a few boxes of lasagna noodles at the market, but by the time you boil the noodles, drain and let them dry you could roll make up fresh lasagna noodles. It is much easier than it seems and you don’t even need a pasta machine.
This recipe is for a general pasta noodle, so it can be used to make ravioli, cut for spaghetti or whatever you would like. What I like about making homemade lasagna noodles opposed to using the box kind is you can make the noodles as thick (or thin) as you want. I usually make a thick lasagna noodle, and if using the box noodle, I would double up the layers of noodles. With making this, I don’t have to double up, I just make one thick layer.
With a few key ingredients, you can roll out your own lasagna noodles in a snap. In my recipe below, I will break it up in to sections so you can incorporate some or all of my recipe in to your existing recipe.
This is a great recipe to make and freeze. What I often do is bake it and freeze half so I get two dinners out of one. Whether you try some or all of this recipe I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Watch my how to video to see how fun and easy it is to make fresh homemade lasagna noodles.
Lasagna with Homemade Lasagna Noodles
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons water, room temperature
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 32 oz. ricotta
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups mozzarella, shredded, divided
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh lasagna noodles (above) or 1 box of lasagna noodles
- 24oz pasta sauce
- In a food processor combine all ingredients and pulse until all ingredients are combined. Remove dough from processor and knead until you can form a ball. Set aside and let rest for about 30 minutes.
- Place dough on clean, lightly floured surface. Roll out with rolling pin until desired thickness. Trim rough edges and cut into equal 1 1/2 inch wide (or desired width) strips. Gather unused dough and edges, knead and roll out. Cut into additional strips.
- Set fresh noodles aside on wax paper until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet on medium high heat combine ground beef, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and garlic powder and cook thoroughly. Remove from heat and stir in pasta sauce until combined and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta cheese, 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, eggs, 1 cup Parmesan, parsley flakes, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and stir until blended.
- In a 9″ x 13″ pan spread 1 cup of meat and pasta sauce mixture. Top with one layer of lasagna noodles. On top of lasagna noodles spread 2 1/4 cup ricotta mixture, followed by 1 cup of sauce and another layer of noodles. Top with remaining ricotta mixture, followed by remaining noodles and last layer of sauce. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil, top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and bake for another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
If your processor is not big enough to combine all the ingredients at once, divide the recipe and make two batches.
If you don’t have a food processor, combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until all ingredients are combined. Remove from bowl and knead on a flour surfaced. Let rest.
One batch will make enough to cover 1 9″ x 13″ lasagna.