Ever wonder why coffee cake is called coffee cake since there isn’t coffee in the cake?
A coffee cake is a single layer cake typically served with coffee (obviously) and is often served on the coffee table while entertaining guests. A coffee cake usually has some kind of streusel topping, hence the name coffee cake which I guess you can say pairs nicely with your morning coffee or just a good excuse to eat cake in the morning.
This is one of my favorite recipes perfect for brunch, special occasion or just simply like cake! Everyone always raves about this recipe and for good reason it’s so good! Once you try it you’ll see why this recipe is beloved by many!
Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
- 2 8 oz. packages cream cheese (softened (light or regular))
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream (light or regular)
- Streusel Topping
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter (chilled and cubed)
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour a 9” x 13” cake pan and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer in a medium bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla and blend on medium-low speed until creamy. Set mixture aside.
- In separate bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer in a large bowl cream butter and sugar on medium-low speed. Add eggs one at a time then vanilla extract. Gradually add in flour mixture alternating with sour cream until it is all combined.
- Spread half the batter in prepared cake pan. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly on top. Top with remaining cake batter. Using a butter knife, gently swirl in the batter.
- Add sugar, flour and butter in a small bowl and stir using a fork or pastry blender mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle on top of cake.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on rack.
- In a small bowl combine confectioners sugar and milk until creamy. Drizzle over cake.