Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Ever wonder why coffee cake is called coffee cake since there isn’t coffee in the cake?
A coffee cake is a single layer cake typically served with coffee (obviously) and is often served on the coffee table while entertaining guests. A coffee cake usually has some kind of streusel topping, hence the name coffee cake which I guess you can say pairs nicely with your morning coffee or just a good excuse to eat cake in the morning.
This is one of my favorite recipes perfect for brunch, special occasion or just simply like cake! Everyone always raves about this recipe and for good reason it’s so good! Once you try it you’ll see why this recipe is beloved by many!
Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 16
- 2 8 oz. packages cream cheese (softened (light or regular))
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream (light or regular)
- Streusel Topping
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter (chilled and cubed)
- ¼ cup confectioners sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour a 9” x 13” cake pan and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer in a medium bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla and blend on medium-low speed until creamy. Set mixture aside.
- In separate bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer in a large bowl cream butter and sugar on medium-low speed. Add eggs one at a time then vanilla extract. Gradually add in flour mixture alternating with sour cream until it is all combined.
- Spread half the batter in prepared cake pan. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly on top. Top with remaining cake batter. Using a butter knife, gently swirl in the batter.
- Add sugar, flour and butter in a small bowl and stir using a fork or pastry blender mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle on top of cake.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on rack.
- In a small bowl combine confectioners sugar and milk until creamy. Drizzle over cake.
That is beyond gorgeous!
I love coffee cake! Cream cheese is the perfect addition, and so unique! It looks so delicate and fancy!
This looks like just what I need to go with my morning coffee! Beautiful :).
Oh, this is lovely!
This is just beautiful!
Thank you so much again for guest posting on my blog! This was such a lovely looking recipe and I can’t wait to try it.
I’ll take any excuse to eat cake in the morning!
Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe Jennifer. It was absolutely delicious and has become my most popular blog post by far. 😀
Hi Kim! So happy to hear you have enjoyed this recipe and I am thrilled to hear that this has been the most popular post for you this far! 🙂
Thank you so much for the recipe I have been looking for one like this for years. We use to buy a cream cheese coffee cake years ago at a chain store and they no longer carry it! So very anxious to make. On my agenda for tomorrow! ? Have u ever put a cream cheese type of icing or drizzle on top of it other than the icing sugar and milk. I might try it!
I’m so happy to hear you are going to try this recipe. Please let me know how it turned out for you. I have not tried doing a cream cheese drizzle but I’m sure it would be delicious as well. Enjoy!
Thank you for this recipe, it looks nice and moist. My husband does not like cake, but something with sour cream and cream cheese otta do it. We both love sweets with our coffee in the morning.
Thanks Sharen! This is the perfect cake to enjoy with your morning coffee.
Hi! I just found this pound cake recipe in an obscure area on Pinterest. I wasn’t looking, but I’m really glad to have found it, and I can’t wait to bake it! Thanks so much.
Glad you found this recipe, enjoy! Please let me know how you like it.
can you tell me if I don’t have unsalted butter, can I use regular butter and leave out the 1/2 tsp of salt?
I had to write to tell you what wonderful memories you brought back to me this morning. Though I haven’t had one in years, probably over 35, when I was growing up my biggest treat for breakfast was Sara Lee’s Cheese Coffee Cake. When I got married I started making everything from scratch and have continued doing so our entire married life. I haven’t looked in the freezer case at such things that I don’t even know if they are available anymore. My first bite of your coffee cake reminded me so much of the Sara Lee’s. Now I am sure that were I to place a piece of yours by a piece of theirs that yours would win hands down. I am so grateful to have now a recipe that resembles my memories and tastes divine. Thank you so much.
Hi TerriSue! I am so happy to hear this coffee cake brought back so many memories for you! Your comment made my day! Thank you so much!
I am so down with this recipe! Thanks Jennifer!
You’re welcome! Enjoy! 🙂