Strawberry Vanilla Yogurt Cake
Let’s talk cake. I don’t make it often for the simple fact I have no willpower around it. If there is cake in my presence, there is probably a fork in my hand ready to dive into it. I would consider myself a cake skimmer, meaning I take little pieces off the cake, thinking if I just take a bite here or there, the calories won’t count. Before I know it, I look at the cake and a quarter of it is eaten. So much for just a taste. That’s why I don’t make it often, I don’t want to be tempted. If we have cake or any dessert around when having company over, I try to pawn any leftovers off on them.
It has been awhile since I made a cake. I think the last cake I made was this homemade Rum Cake for Holiday Thyme. I was in the mood for cake. This cake hit the spot! It is light, moist and totally acceptable for breakfast, at least for me. Serve it warm, and your taste buds will thank you.
The best part about this cake is you can substitute the strawberries with any fruit on hand. Try is with blueberries, and blueberry preserves, raspberries, you get the picture. You don’t even need an electric mixer to make this, just two large bowls and a pan. I like to make this in a 8 inch springform pan for presentation, however it works well in a loaf or bundt pan as well.
It is topped with a simple strawberry glaze which adds the final touch to this incredible cake.
Strawberry Vanilla Yogurt Cake
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ounce packet sugar free vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean, split lenghwise and beans removed
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, diced
- 1/2 cup good quality strawberry preserves
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8-inch springform pan, a 8 x 5 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, vanilla pudding mix, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl mix sugar, yogurt, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla extract and vanilla beans.
- Slowly stir wet ingredients into dry until blended.
- Fold in strawberries.
- Pour evenly into prepared baking pan.
- Dollop strawberry preserves on top of batter and lightly swirl preserves with a butter knife.
- Place on center rack in oven and bake for 50-55 minutes until cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for about 20 minutes. Remove from pan and set on back on wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl stir confectioners sugar, preserves, milk, sugar and extract until smooth. Drizzle on top of cake.
- Serve cake warm or at room temperature. Store in an airtight container.
Spend more “thyme” with Mother Thyme.
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram Google + Email RSS
An early release of Summer Thyme is now available! Click on the book cover for a sneak peak and to grab your early release copy! Next week there is some great things happening that I can’t wait to share with you along with the full launch of Summer Thyme including fun giveaways!
This is a must make!
I think I fall into your cake skimmer category. I love taking little nibble of cakes and other baked treats. Your cake looks lovely, perfect for a summer cake. I like the glaze you’ve topped the cake with too, I can imagine it finishes off the cake nicely.
Such a pretty cake, I’d happily indulge in a slice for breakfast :).
Oh yum! That looks so good! Will be putting this on my to-bake list. Thanks for the recipe. 🙂
What an absolutely delicious breakfast cake! I love that it has the sugar free pudding, yogurt, and lots of fruit! Your pics are gorgeous!!!
I couldn’t be trusted around this cake! Perfect for the season 😉
It’s going to be finish of mine day, except before finish I am reading this fantastic paragraph to increase my knowledge.