Crusty Italian bread smothered with garlic butter and topped with an easy alfredo sauce, chicken and cheese for one delicious garlic bread pizza everyone will love.
There was a time long ago when I was in my early 20’s that whenever I would go out to dinner I would order Chicken Alfredo. If there was Chicken Alfredo on the menu, good chance I was ordering it. The best part was taking home leftovers. There is something about alfredo, or really any pasta that tastes better the next day. I finally had enough of it and I went quite some time without it.
Since then I have had alfredo sauce, but not as often as I used to. A few weeks ago Mr. Mother Thyme and I went to lunch at Olive Garden. I ordered the never ending pasta bowl since that is like love in a bowl for me. You are probably thinking the way the story is going that I ordered the alfredo sauce, right? Well, I didn’t but Mr. Mother Thyme did. And after and enjoyable lunch out, we headed home with leftovers in hand. It was later that night that I spotted his leftover container in the refrigerator. Temptation took over and I snuck a bite, which of course turned into two or three. Oh, it was so good. Creamy cheesy alfredo sauce, yum!
Making your own alfredo sauce is incredibly easy. Once you try real alfredo sauce with cream, cheese and garlic, you’ll leave the jarred stuff on the shelves. This is the way I have made it for years, and it always so rich and creamy. Perfect over any of your favorite pasta.
My little lunch date inspired me to create this Chicken Alfredo Garlic Bread Pizza. While I was dipping the last of the breadsticks we took home into the alfredo sauce I came up with this idea. A nice loaf of Italian bread, smothered with garlic butter and topped with chicken alfredo and cheese. Chicken alfredo or any pasta with garlic bread seem to go hand and hand. Combining them together into one tasty garlic bread pizza is the perfect match.
You can use bakery fresh garlic bread or it is easy to make with a loaf of Italian bread and a few simple ingredients. Add the toppings and cheese and bake it until the cheese is melted for a yummy meal.
What you need
Half and half
Cooked broccoli florets
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Step one: Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
Step two: Add minced garlic and cook for about a minute.
Step three: Gradually stir in half and half and warm through.
Step four: Gradually stir in Parmesan cheese and stir until creamy and sauce thickens. Season with salt, pepper and parsley flakes.
Step five: In a large bowl toss shredded chicken with alfredo sauce. Set aside.
Step six: In a medium bowl blend softened butter with garlic powder and parsley. Slice Italian bread lenghwise and spread garlic butter on top of slices.
Step seven: Spread chicken alfredo mixture on top of bread. Add broccoli and cheese. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15-18 minutes until cheese is hot and bubbly.
Chicken Alfredo Garlic Bread Pizza
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Total Time: 38 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 servings
- 2 tablespoons buter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup half and half, regular or fat free
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Pinch of parsley flakes
- Pinch of freshly cracked pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 loaf bakery style Italian bread
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 cups cooked broccoli florets (a frozen steamable bag works great)
- 2–3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for about one minute longer.
- Gradually stir in half and half followed by Parmsan cheese until blended and sauce thickens.
- Reduce to a simmer, stirring occasionally until heated through.
- Remove from heat. Stir in parsley flakes, pepper and salt.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- Slice Italian bread lengthwise.
- In a medium bowl mix butter, garlic powder and parsley flakes until blended. Generously spread over bread.
- In a medium bowl toss chicken with prepared alfredo sauce. Spread evenly over Italian bread slices. Top with broccoli then sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Cut into desired slices and serve.
Chicken tip – Place boneless, skinless chicken breast on a foil lined baking sheet. Sprinkle lightly with salt, pepper and oregano. Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 35-40 minutes internal temperature is 165 degrees. Let chicken cool to touch, then shred with a fork. Leftover chicken, store bought rotisserie chicken also works great for this recipe.