These soft and buttery Apple Butter Thumbprint Cookies make a delicious fall treat and so easy to bake!
I wanted to make these slightly different than the first two which are just baked then dusted with confectioners sugar. For these Apple Butter Thumbprint Cookies I use Pumpkin Spice pudding mix which I finally stumbled upon at the grocery store. The pudding mix adds a hint of pumpkin spice, so it great combined with the sweet apple butter. If you can’t find Pumpkin Spice pudding mix, just use vanilla instant pudding. It will alter the taste a little, but it is a good substitute.
These cookies are soft and buttery, a great treat to enjoy throughout the fall. I like to serve a variety of desserts for Thanksgiving, these cookies are going to be one of them. They are easy and delicious, a great addition to your holiday dessert table.
What you need
Pumpkin Spice pudding mix
- You will want to chill the dough for at least one hour before making these cookies.
- If you find the dough is cracking when you press down on the dough, just let the dough sit at room temperature until softer. When you press down they won’t crack as much. I like a little cracking as it gives these cookies a rustic and fall homemade feel.
- Glaze is optional but makes them look really pretty.
- If you can’t find pumpkin spice pudding mix, use vanilla pudding mix and add the cinnamon and ginger. It will alter the flavor slightly from this recipe but they are still really good.
- Use pumpkin butter instead of apple butter is really good too!