Rigatoni tossed with your favorite marinara sauce, Italian sausage, sweet peppers, onions and cheese then baked until hot and bubbly for yummy dinner any night of the week.
Who doesn’t love a big bowl of pasta tossed in a yummy marinara sauce.
I could eat that every night.
Baked Rigatoni is an easy and classic dish. It is combined with another classic dish, Italian Sausage and Peppers that is simmered with diced tomatoes, and onions.
Combining the two into one Baked Rigatoni with Italian Sausage and Peppers casserole is so good! It is perfect for family gatherings, potlucks, or even to make ahead. Make it the night before and after work or school, pop it in the oven until hot and bubbly. Depending on how many you are serving, you can easily divide this in half and freeze it for another night. I am all for doing that. I do that often so I’m not wasting food plus it’s great to have on hand.
This to me is a classic fall dish, perfect for Sunday supper or any fall gathering you may need a yummy dish like this to serve.
What you need
Italian Sausage (Pork or Turkey, Mild or Hot)
Italian shredded cheese
Step one: Cook rigatoni. Drain and set aside.
Step two: Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add sausage and cook until browned through.
Step three: Add onions,peppers and garlic and cook until tender.
Step four: Stir in diced tomatoes and heat through.
Step five: Place sausage, peppers and onions in a large bowl and toss with rigatoni,marinara sauce and shredded cheese.
Step six: Pour into a casserole dish and top with cheese. Bake until hot and bubbly.
Baked Rigatoni with Italian Sausage and Peppers
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 servings 1x
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage (pork or turkey, mild or hot), cut into bite size pieces
- 2 bell peppers (red, orange or yellow), seeded and sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 14.5 ounce can diced or fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 24 ounce jar marinara sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella or Italian-style shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes for garnish, optional
- Cook rigatoni according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add Italian sausage and cook until browned through, about 10 minutes.
- Add in peppers, onions and garlic and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and cook until heated through.
- Pour Italian sausage mixture into a large bowl and toss with rigatoni, marinara sauce and 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese.
- Pour mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish. Top with remaining shredded cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with parsely and serve.