Salted Caramel Popcorn Bars
These Salted Caramel Popcorn Bars are a delicious sweet and salty treat everyone will enjoy!
I rememeber when I was young, my friends and I would go trick or treating in the neighborhood and we would always end up with at least one popcorn ball in our bag. I loved those treats! Halloween has been a pretty big deal in the MT household this year. The twins are now three and they are so into Halloween. From pumpkins, to costumes they love it.
These Salted Caramel Popcorn Bars are inspired by those popcorn balls I once had, except in bars. These are easy to make and easier to eat. They make great snacks for the kiddos. I can’t seem to keep my hands away from them. They are the perfect sweet and salty crunchy treat so many of us love.
You can easily put your own spin on these adding in some crushed pretzels, chocolate or festive sprinkles, or nuts. I love to add cashews in these. I would avoid adding in chocolate chips as they could melt when tossed with the caramel.
Cut these into chunky bars, wrap in plastic wrap or place in a candy gift bag you can get at the craft store and tie with ribbon. A great little treat for your trick or treaters or for yourself.
What you need
Light brown sugar
Half and half
Fleur de Sel or coarse salt
Step one: Melt butter, brown sugar and half and half over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5-6 minutes until caramel thickens and is golden brown.
Step two: Reduce heat to low. Stir in salt and marshmallows, stirring until sauce is smooth and creamy.
Step three: Pour over popcorn and stir with a rubber spatula to coat evenly.
Step four: Spread in a greased 9×13 inch baking pan, pressing evenly. For a thicker bar, use an 8×8 inch backing pan. Set aside until firm.
Salted Caramel Popcorn Bars
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 12-16 servings
- 8 cups plain popped popcorn (3 ounce bag popped or 1/2 cup kernels, popped)
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon fleur de sel or coarse salt
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
Optional add in’s
- 1/4 cup chopped pretzels
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews or nuts
- 1–2 tablespoons sprinkles
- Spray an 9×13 baking pan with cooking spray and set aside. For thicker bars, use an 8×8 baking pan.
- Melt butter, brown sugar and half and half in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally for about 5-6 minutes until golden brown.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in salt and marshmallows, stirring until creamy and blended.
- Toss optional add in’s with popcorn.
- Pour caramel sauceover popcorn and stir with a rubber spatula to coat evenly.
- Spread evenly in baking pan, pressing evenly. Set aside until firm.
I don’t think I’ve ever had a popcorn ball or bar before. Might have to change that!
Love sweet and salty snacks! These look fabulous! 🙂
I love salted caramel, these are perfect for a sweet and salty fix!
this sounds so yummy!
Oh my goodness – I could eat the entire batch myself!! Love, love, love!!
I made two batches of these last night… so super easy! x