Skillet Chicken Parmesan
Skillet Chicken Parmesan — an easy and delicious meal ready in about 30 minutes.
Chicken Parmesan is one of my favorite meals. I can’t believe it has taken me this long to post my recipe. I make this often, so it is about time I share one of my favorite meals with you.
My secret to making an easy and delicious Chicken Parmesan come together quickly, is I cook the chicken in a skillet from start to finish. What makes it even quicker is I flatten the chicken with a mallet or use thinly sliced chicken cutlets.
I’m not a fan of Chicken Parm, or similar chicken recipes that use a thick chicken breast. I always like to flatten the chicken if possible. It’s better for evenly cooked chicken. If you use a thick chicken breast that you take directly from the package to the stove or baking dish, sometimes the breast is thicker on one end which results in the thinner part of the breast to cook quicker and dry out. If you use a piece of chicken that is the same width from end to end, the chicken cooks perfectly, and quicker. That is why sometimes I like to use chicken cutlets, but I usually get the best bang for my buck purchasing boneless, skinless chicken breast in bulk so I will take the few minutes to flatten the chicken with a mallet. It’s a good stress reliever too.
To complete this yummy meal, cook some angel hair pasta, my favorite alongside Chicken Parm, while you whip up the chicken. Get your little assembly line going to dredge, dip and coat the chicken, then pop it on the skillet for about 8 minutes per side. Pour in your favorite marinara sauce and sprinkle it cheese. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle with some fresh basil and serve. It is so, so good!
More skillet chicken favorites —
Apricot Glazed Chicken
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Mandarin Orange Chicken
Skillet Chicken Parmesan
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4 6 ounce each boneless, skinless chicken breasts or cutlets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic (1–2 cloves)
- 1 jar (24 ounce marinara sauce)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped basil
- Cooked angel hair pasta for serving
- Fresh Parmesan cheese shavings for serving (optional)
- Using a mallet flatten chicken breasts to about 1/4 inch thick. Season with salt, oregano and pepper and set aside.
- In a shallow bowl add flour.
- In another shallow bowl beat eggs and milk.
- In another shallow bowl mix bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
- In a large deep skillet heat oil and butter over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and cook for about 45 seconds until fragrant.
- Dredge seasoned chicken in flour. Dip chicken in egg mixture, allowing excess to drip off then toss bread crumb mixture.
- Place chicken in skillet and repeat until each piece of chicken is coated.
- Cook chicken about 7-8 minutes per side until thoroughly cooked.
- Pour in sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium low until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with freshly chopped basil and serve over angel hair pasta and fresh Parmesan shavings.
Ooh and you get to have more topping if you flatten out the chicken. Great idea Jen!
A tasty classic and I like that this one is done all in one skillet!
Nice one .i really like it
This was really delish! Thanks for posting it! 😀
Hi Hazel, So glad you enjoyed this recipe! Thanks for letting me know! 🙂
I just made this and can’t wait to dig in. Maybe I missed this but at what point is the garlic added?
Hi Eugenia! So sorry, the garlic goes in after the butter and oil is heated for about 45 seconds before the chicken. Thanks for catching it missing in the directions. I have updated the recipe.
Excellent recipe Jenn! We just discovered your wonderful blog through Yummly!
It goes without saying of course that this recipe has been already Yummed:)
Delicious idea, simple ingredients and very easy to follow, clear instructions!
Thank you so much for sharing this with all of us!
Panos and Mirella
Really? You estimate it will take 10 minutes to prep 17 ingredients?