Makes 3 10.5 ounce cans of cream of mushroom soup to use as directed in any recipe that calls for cream of mushroom soup. Freeze in mason jars or freeze bags and thaw before using in recipes.
- 2 1/2 C water
- 3/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 C whole milk
- 4 oz canned mushrooms (drained and diced (optional))
- 1 T Trader Joes Umami Seasoning
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t salt (or to taste)
- 2 1/2 t Better Than Bouillon chicken base
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan.
- While water is coming to a boil, whisk together flour, mushrooms, 1 cup milk, umami seasoning, garlic powder and salt until smooth and creamy.
- Once water comes to a boil, stir in chicken bouillon until dissolved.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 c milk and flour mixture.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook and stir until sauce is smooth and begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Once cool, transfer mixture to mason jars. Fill each mason jar with 10.5 ounces of mixture each. Allow to cool completely before freezing or use as directed in any recipe that calls for cream of mushroom soup. This recipe will make 3 10.5 ounce “cans”
Alternatively you can use 2 1/2 cups chicken broth instead of water and bouillon.
If you can’t find Trader Joe’s Umami Seasoning use: 1/2 t onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, pinch of dried thyme, plus garlic powder and salt as directed.