French Onion Grilled Cheese
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 pound yellow onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, regular or light
- 3 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- Pinch of dried thyme
- 8 slices deli sliced swiss or provolone cheese
- 8 slices bakery fresh sourdough bread
- 1–2 tablespoons butter
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, season with salt and stir to coat with olive oil.
- Cook onions over medium heat, stirring occasionally to avoid burning until onions are brown and caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir mayonnaise, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, parsley flakes and thyme until combined. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Prepare grilled cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Butter outside pieces of bread.
- Inside the sandwich, spread both slices with mayonnaise spread. Top with 2 slices of cheese and caramelized onions.
- Cook sandwich about 4-5 minutes per side until bread is toasted and golden brown and cheese is melted.