Creamy White Chicken Enchiladas
Have you ever made a dinner that you and your family enjoyed so much you want to make it again and again? For me it’s these Creamy White Chicken Enchiladas. They are delish! And the sauce! This yummy rich and creamy sauce! It’s so good you’ll just want to eat it with a spoon.
Not only are these enchiladas incredible but they’re super easy to make. I always have cooked chicken on hand to use in recipes like this or to add to salads or in wraps for lunch. When I plan my menu for the week I’ll cook enough chicken at the beginning of the week to use in the recipes that I need and to have a little extra. It’s a huge time saver and I always know I have it handy to whip up meals. To make my chicken I usually season it with salt, pepper and some seasoning and bake it at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes or once in awhile I’ll poach it. If you don’t have cooked chicken on hand and you’re tight on time a store bought rotisserie chicken will come in handy and save the step of having to cook chicken.
If you love enchiladas, this is one recipe you definitely want to try! It’s smothered in a sour cream and green chile sauce that is irresistible! It’s topped with more luscious cheese because you can never had too much cheese. I like to use freshly shredded monterey jack cheese and it’s baked in the oven until hot and bubbly. Then prepare yourself for an epic meal that is sure to become a family favorite!
Creamy White Chicken Enchiladas
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 -8 1x
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken breast
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (divided)
- 8 8 inch flour tortillas
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Queso Fresco (optional)
- 1–2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl toss together shredded chicken and 1 cup cheese.
- Divide mixture evenly between flour tortillas.
- Roll chicken mixture up in tortillas and place seam side down in baking dish.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in flour and whisk until smooth.
- Gradually add in chicken broth, about 1/4 cup at a time stirring constantly until sauce is smooth and has thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Stir sour cream, green chilies, cumin and garlic powder into sauce.
- Cook for a few minutes longer until sauce is heated through.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce on top of enchiladas.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake on center rack of oven for about 30 minutes until cheese is melted and sauce is hot and bubbly.
- Garnish with Queso Fresco and cilantro before serving.
Has anyone tried this with corn tortillas? Is the taste, cooking time, amount of tortillas, etc. the same? I only like to make enchiladas with corn tortillas. Thanks!
Hi Tina, I love corn tortillas but for this recipe I definitely recommend the flour tortillas. Enjoy!
Can this be frozen and eaten later