Slow Cooker Hearty Beef Stew
An easy recipe for Slow Cooker Hearty Beef Stew loaded with chunks of beef, potatoes, carrots and onions and simmered in a delicious sauce perfect for dunking chunks of crusty bread!
Winter isn’t over yet! Especially if you’re in the northeast like I am it feels more like the middle of winter! Snow days like this call for a delicious bowl of beef stew! Beef stew is one of the ultimate comfort foods! There’s a good chance you already have a beef stew recipe that you love. Maybe it’s a cherished recipe that’s been in your family or one that you found online or in a cookbook that is your go-to beef stew recipe. As much as I love to create and develop recipes I still love to try new recipes even on classic recipes like beef stew. It what gives me ideas and inspiration plus it’s always fun to try new variations. And after almost 6 years of sharing recipes on Mother Thyme I can’t believe I’ve never shared my beef stew recipe! Mr. Mother Thyme loves his meat and potatoes. He’d eat it everyday if he could. Recently he asked if I’d make my beef stew since it’s been awhile so of course I did but then I thought to myself that I’d share it on Mother Thyme too! If you’ve yet to find that perfect beef stew recipe or just like trying new ones then I hope you enjoy this tasty recipe as much as I do!
Even though spring is just around the corner finally it’s feeling more like the middle of winter here in New York. It’s the perfect weather to cozy up with a warm bowl of Beef Stew! Beef Stew is also great for St. Patrick’s Day too and one of the other reasons I had planned to share it this week never expecting we’d be in the middle of a snowstorm as well. While beef stew is perfect for chilly days I find it quite comforting year round.
Even though I’ve tried a variety of beef stew recipes throughout the years this has been my staple recipe. When Mr. Mother Thyme asks for me to make my beef stew I know he’s means this one. Cooking beef stew in the slow cooker couldn’t be any easier and the only way I make it. It’s perfect for busy weeknights or when you’re in the mood for a comforting pot of stew. This thick and hearty stew is loaded with chunks of beef, carrots, potatoes and onion.
The sauce is what really makes this beef stew phenomenal. Before I came up with my recipe I didn’t like when I’d make beef stew but the sauce was watery. I know some people like it that way but I prefer a thicker sauce for stew. Sure I could thicken it up at the end but I didn’t want to bother with that so I came up with making the thick sauce which is essentially a gravy first then adding it to the slow cooker so the thick sauce could simmer all day long. The end result is beef stew perfection! Even though this stew is delicious served when it’s made it’s even better the next day. You could make this the day before and simply reheat it the next day!
I love to serve beef stew with a fresh loaf of bread perfect for dunking and soaking up all the luscious gravy which honestly is my favorite part. Along with that I’ll also toss together a quick salad and dinner is served.Print
Slow Cooker Hearty Beef Stew
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 23 minutes
- Yield: 4 -6 1x
- 2 pounds cubed beef stew meat*
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoon olive oil (divided)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 sprigs of thyme (leaves removed)
- 1 pound baby red potatoes (halved)
- 1/2 pound baby carrots
- 1 sweet onion (peeled and cut into wedges)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt plus additional to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper plus additional to taste
- In a large bowl mix together 4 tablespoons flour, garlic powder, onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Pat meat dry with a paper towel then add to flour mixture and toss to coat.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add beef shaking off excess flour and cook in batches if necessary so you don’t crowd the pan.
- Cook beef just until all sides are browned then place browned beef in slow cooker.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon oil to the same skillet.
- Stir in garlic and cook for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add in beef stock, deglaze skillet and bring liquid to a boil.
- Whisk in tomato paste and vinegar until blended then whisk in remaining 3 tablespoons of flour and stir until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in thyme and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper or to taste.
- Add potatoes, carrots and onion to slow cooker.
- Stir in sauce and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 or on high for 4-5 hours until potatoes and meat are tender.
- Before serving remove bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste if desired.
*You can find cubed stew meat in grocery stores or you can buy a beef chuck trim the fat and cut it into cubes.
Switch it up and substitute freshly chopped rosemary in place of the thyme! It adds great flavor too!
MORE SLOW COOKER FAVORITES
Slow Cooker Asian Style Shredded Beef
Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli