Gingerbread is such a traditional holiday recipe. From gingerbread men to a warm loaf of gingerbread there are so many varieties. Rich in molasses and some of my favorite spices such as ground ginger and cloves, these gingerbread muffins are perfect for Christmas morning or to give as a gift in a basket filled with oranges and coffee beans.
Just the smell of these baking in the oven is worth the few minutes it takes to whip these up. I also like the addition of fresh lemon zest to these gingerbread muffins that makes the scent of this baking amazing.
They are topped with a simple streusel topping and then drizzled with a lemon glaze that is used with the extra lemon leftover that was used for the lemon zest.
You can go ahead and bake these now. Freeze them and you are set to go with homemade gingerbread muffins to serve Christmas morning.
For an evening treat enjoy one of these with some vanilla ice cream or with a warm glass of milk sprinkled with a little cinnamon to end a winter day.
Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir in wet ingredients.
Pour into prepared muffin pan and sprinkle with streusel topping. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes.
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ½ cup whole milk
- ⅓ cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 large egg
- Zest from one small lemon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from ½ of one lemon)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 12 cup muffin pan with liners and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, ginger, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and cloves and mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl stir melted butter, milk, molasses, egg and lemon zest. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients while mixing on low speed. Mix until just combined.
- Pour into prepared muffins pan filling about ¾ full.
- In a medium bowl combine melted butter, flour, sugar and cinnamon and mix until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of muffins bake for about 20-25 minutes until tester inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Let muffins cool in pan for a few minutes then remove and place on wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl stir together confectioners sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle on top of muffins.