Creamy mashed potatoes blended with brown butter which adds depth and flavor to this delicious side dish.
Why does butter make things taste sooo good? Because it’s butter.
This time of year I think I need to have a refrigerator full of butter. My grocery list is never without a few boxes of butter. And each stick has a purpose. Most are reserved for baking but some are saved for things like Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes.
These Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes are essentially my classic, go-to mashed potatoes recipe except I swap out regular melted butter and instead slowly cook the butter until it’s golden brown. As the butter slowly simmers and turns golden brown it takes on a whole new flavor. It’s deep and rich with a nutty flavor. It takes your basic mashed potatoes to a whole new level.
Do you have your menu planned for Thanksgiving yet? If you don’t, you may want to include these creamy mashed potatoes onto your dinner menu. These also go nicely with any of your meals that you incorporate mashed potatoes with. Once you try your mashed potatoes with brown butter, you may never make them any other way.
- 3 pounds white potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and a place in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Continue to cook on low, stirring occasionally until butter turns golden brown, about 7-8 minutes.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of butter and pour the remaining butter over potatoes.
- Add in half and half, sour cream, salt, parsley and pepper.
- Using an electric mixer whip potatoes until creamy.
- Place in a serving bowl. Make a well in the center and add reserved brown butter.
- Serve warm.