A quick and easy recipe for creamy and delicious Homemade Paleo Mayonnaise that you can whip up in minutes in your blender with simple ingredients you probably have already on hand. Even if you’re not paleo you’re still going to love this mayonnaise!
I’m not going to lie but I love mayonnaise. And before I started following a paleo-ish lifestyle I couldn’t live without my Hellman’s. I loved it on sandwiches, hamburgers, to make dressings, you name it.
When I started my paleo-ish lifestyle I was on a quest to find a good mayonnaise that was made with simple ingredients and more importantly NO CANOLA OIL! I tried a bunch that just didn’t cut it so I started making my own. I look back now and wonder why I didn’t make it sooner! Making homemade mayonnaise is SO EASY! If you have a blender and it doesn’t even need to be a fancy blender, a fresh egg, olive oil and a couple pantry staples you can literally whip up a creamy and delicious batch of homemade mayonnaise in minutes! Even if you’re not paleo you are still going to love this creamy mayonnaise! Even Mr. Mother Thyme who used to love his Hellman’s as much as I did said this is better than Hellman’s. No kidding!
When I first started making my own homemade mayonnaise I used avocado oil. While it was good and had the consistency of mayonnaise the flavor was a little off and the color was a hint of green. While that didn’t bother me as much trying to have it pass the test of others didn’t go over quite well.
After playing around I finally perfected the perfect batch of creamy homemade paleo mayonnaise that is made with olive oil. I prefer using light olive oil but pure olive oil works well too. You DON’T WANT TO USE EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL! So don’t mistaken light olive oil for extra virgin. Like I said before if you don’t have light olive oil or can’t find it regular pure olive oil works just as well and honestly you might want to try both and see what you like best.
FOR THIS RECIPE YOU NEED
- 1 large egg at room temperature (Preferably fresh and organic. If you’re worried about using raw egg use a pasteurized egg.)
- 1 1/4 cup light or pure olive oil. (Again NOT Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Pinch of garlic powder (I like a little pinch but it’s totally optional)
- 1/2 a lemon, juiced (This is added in at the end. I like to mix in a little at a time to adjust the flavor instead of dumping in too much and having the lemon flavor overpowering.)
- Salt (I use pink himalayan salt but kosher salt or table salt will work. This is added in at the end to adjust the flavoring.)
MORE ABOUT THIS RECIPE
I made this recipe so much that I’ve learned through trial and error what works so you get a thick and creamy mayonnaise every time. When I first started making it I’ve had some flops where it just wouldn’t thicken up and just looked like soup. I’ve listed a few pointers below to ensure your mayonnaise turns out perfect every time!
- Use a room temperature egg! One of the most important tips. If you use a cold egg right out the refrigerator your mayo won’t thicken. I leave mine on the counter for several hours or even overnight. If I’m in a pinch I put the egg in warm water for 30 minutes or so to bring it to room temperature.
- SLOW! SLOW! SLOW! Like I mentioned before you don’t need a fancy blender to make this. You just need a low setting on a blender to make this. The lower the better. I have a Vitamix and keep my setting on low setting 1 the entire time.
- Not only do you want your speed setting slow but you want to SLOWLY drizzle in the olive oil. Slow and steady is the key to thick and creamy mayonnaise. It takes a good 2-3 minutes to slowly pour the olive oil so it’s a good arm workout! I like to drizzle the olive oil in like a water slowing coming out of a faucet. Don’t be tempted at the end to dump it all in because I’ve had that happen and all the hard work you put in at the beginning will be ruined. Slow and steady from beginning to end is what works!
- I like to add the salt and lemon juice at the end so I can control the amount of flavor. The lemon juice can be overpowering if you add too much so add a little, give it a stir and add more if needed. Same goes with the salt.
- Once mixed scoop your mayonnaise in a mason jar and place it in the refrigerator. Let it sit for a few hours to get it to settle. It will thicken even more. It stays good covered in the refrigerator for about 5-7 days.
- Enjoy it on anything you need mayonnaise for!
WATCH HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE PALEO MAYONNAISE
Homemade Paleo Mayonnaise
- 1 large whole egg preferably fresh and organic. Pasteurized if desired at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup olive oil Pure or light NOT extra virgin, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- Small pinch garlic powder optional
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt kosher or table salt works too
Place egg, 1/4 cup olive oil, mustard powder and garlic powder in a blender.
Blend on low for about 20 seconds until combined.
Remove cap from blender and slowly stream in remaining 1 cup olive oil on low setting.
This process will take a few minutes. Make sure you go slow the entire time. Keep the setting low and stream the olive oil in slowly.
As your streaming in you might hear the blender motor change as the mayonnaise comes together. Also you'll notice the consistency change as you slowly stream in the olive oil. Be patient. It only takes a few minutes and the results are amazing!
Once all the olive oil is added stir in a little lemon juice and salt. I recommend adding in a little at at a time and adjust flavoring if desired. If you add in too much lemon juice it could be overpowering. The best is to add in a little and add more if needed. Same with the salt.
You can stir the lemon juice and salt in by hand or just gently pulse in the blender a few times until combined.
Once done scoop the mayonnaise into a mason jar. Seal with the lid an refrigerate.
It's recommended to let it refrigerate for a few hours or overnight to let the flavors settle but you could definitely use right away if needed.
Store in the refrigerator and use within 5-7 days.
MIX THIS HOMEMADE PALEO MAYONNAISE WITH MY EASY HOMEMADE RANCH SEASONING MIX AND COCONUT MILK FOR A CREAMY DELICIOUS PALEO RANCH DRESSING!