Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
One of the classic flavors of the holiday season is gingerbread. From gingerbread men and gingerbread houses to stopping in your favorite coffee shop and enjoying a gingerbread latte; gingerbread seems to be a staple flavor of this festive time of year.
Nothing beats a soft and chewy gingerbread cookie filled with spices and molasses expect one thing, chocolate. Combining cocoa powder and semi sweet chocolate chips in to a classic gingerbread cookie makes these cookies a holiday favorite.
Each bite of these delicious cookies gives you a tasty bite of ginger and chocolate. Make a batch to for an upcoming cookie exchange, to pass along to your friends and neighbors or to serve on your buffet at a holiday gathering. They are sure to be a new holiday favorite!
Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 3 dozen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, ground ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, cloves, salt and nutmeg and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed cream butter with brown sugar and white sugar until fluffy. Add in egg and blend until combined followed by molasses and vanilla. Gradually add in flour mixture to wet ingredients until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Make tablespoon size balls and roll in sugar. Place on baking sheet 1 ½ inches apart from each other.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until tops begin to crack. Cool for several minutes on baking sheet before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an air tight container.
These are beautiful cookies! They are so cute and round 🙂
Oh! I came over here to see your mashed potatoes but look what I found instead! Fabulous.
I so love gingerbread cookies. I can only imagine how good they are with chocolate. They are adorable too!
I have actually thought of gingerbread cookies with coffee chips. However, I have recently found out that those chips are not so great. Anyhow, chocolate and ginger sounds better anyway! These are on my list to make now. I love the appearance of these-for some reason they do make me think of Christmas, perhaps it is the sugar on top. Your pictures are very good, perfect lighting on the last one.
Mmm, these sound delicious. Can’t wait to see the rest of the countdown to Christmas recipes!
Oh wow chocolate and all of those spices together – if it wasn’t already past my bedtime I’d whip up a batch of these right now.
Saved to make very very soon.
Holy cramole. I adore these.
MMMM, these sound really great. I love gingerbread and add the chocolate and WOW that sounds amazing. How have I never thought of this before????
Yum! I love gingerbread. I might have to try these 😀
I had considered making chocolate gingerbread cookies last year but my husband talked me out if. I think you just talked me back INTO it.
Thanks for linking up at A Little Nosh this week!
I like your twist on these cookies, looks great.
Great recipe. I increased the spices a bit and it turned out quite well. Also, try it with mini chocolate chips so that it’s more evenly distributed.