Looking to order some take out? If you have a few key ingredients in your pantry you can whip up this delicious Mandarin Orange Chicken and have fresh take out right from your own kitchen.
While cleaning out my pantry and making room for the jars of pasta sauce that I featured yesterday I noticed I had several cans of mandarin oranges on the shelves so it was time to put a can of these to use. Mandarin oranges are one of those staples I always have in my pantry. They are great on salads, with cottage cheese, or in this case, added in to this tasty and delicious chicken dish.
The perfect compliment with this dish is Coconut Rice that I have featured previously. The hint of orange in the chicken and the sauce combined with the infused coconut rice makes for the perfect weeknight dinner and if there are any leftovers, the best lunch the next day!
|Toss chicken with orange juice and corn starch.|
|Prep peppers, onion and garlic.|
|Cook chicken in oil, stirring frequently.|
|Add in vegetables and cook until slightly tender.|
|Add in remaining ingredients and cook until sauce thickens.|
Mandarin Orange Chicken
- 1 ½ pounds boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups red, orange or yellow peppers (or combination), cut in to strips
- 1 cup sweet onion, sliced
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 11oz can mandarin orange with juice
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons orange zest for serving (optional)
- 1 14oz can lite coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup white rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a medium bowl sprinkle chicken with a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour orange juice over chicken and toss with ¼ cup corn starch until coated evenly.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat and add chicken to skillet.
- Cook chicken, turning frequently until all sides are brown and chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- Add peppers, onion and garlic and cook until slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
- Mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch with soy sauce and hoisin sauce.
- Add mixture to skillet with mandarin oranges with juice, vinegar and sugar and stir until blended. Cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper for taste if desired.
- In a medium pot add coconut milk, water and a pinch of salt and bring to boil.
- Add rice and stir.
- Reduce heat to low and cover for 20 minutes until milk is absorbed and rice is cooked.
- Add salt if desired, fluff with fork and serve.