I have a love hate relationship with Brussels sprouts. How about you?
Lemon Butter meet Brussels sprouts. Oh yes!
Mr. Mother Thyme who is not Mr. Vegetable surprisingly loves Brussels sprouts. I on the other hand who loves vegetables would not pick them as my first vegetable of choice; until recently, very recently lets say until I made this dish recent. The Brussels sprouts tossed in this lemon butter sauce is pure perfection. I have also come to the conclusion that I enjoy Brussels sprouts steamed. They are rather tender once steamed and almost melt in your mouth.
Toss these tender little Brussels sprouts along with pasta and freshly grated cheese and you have a course that is refreshing and very easy to prepare.
This dish can also be prepared with any type of pasta or even cooked alone just as a side dish without the pasta.
Do I even dare say I could eat an entire bowl of these alone without my beloved pasta? Absolutely!
Spaghetti with Brussels Sprouts and Lemon Butter
- 13.25oz box whole grain or whole wheat spaghetti (or any preferred pasta) cooked al dente
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts cleaned, stems removed and cut lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- ⅛ teaspoon herbs de provence
- ½ cup pasta water reserved
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Steam Brussels sprouts seasoned with a pinch of salt covered for 8-10 minutes until tender, set aside.
- In a large skillet heat butter and olive oil over medium heat until butter has melted.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add in lemon juice, zest and herbs de provence and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add in Brussels sprouts and toss to coat.
- Add in cooked spaghetti and toss with Brussels sprouts.
- Add in reserved pasta water and toss.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and top.