What’s your favorite jam?
I love of browsing little shops and finding unique blends of jams. I sometimes have four or five different varieties in my pantry ready to crack open to spread on a piece of warm bread or to enjoy on my morning toast with coffee.
My mother just returned from a three month stay in Hawaii. Must be nice, I know. The one thing she knows she can always bring me home is food from her travels. And when she was in Hawaii she brought me back a jar of Maui Papaya and Pineapple Jam; sounds good, doesn’t it?
I found a recipe for Jam Squares on Yumsilicious Bakes for this month’s Secret Recipe Club and I knew these bars would be perfect with my fresh Hawaiian jam I just received.
Yumsilious Bakes is written by the very talented Avanika and has a variety of you guessed it, yummy and delicious sweets that had my drooling. I had fun browsing through all the great recipes and settling on just one was difficult but I am so glad I picked these Jam Squares to share. They are incredibly easy, and you can fill these bars with any type of jam you prefer.
I modified the recipe just slightly. I cut the recipe in half so I could make these in an 8″x8″ pan and I could have a thick crust. I also modified the amount of jam as I wanted there to be a nice, thick layer of jam in between the layers.
These are perfect to whip up and take to a summer picnic with some fresh summer jam that we’ll be whipping up with all the berries that will soon be in season.
Serves: 8-10 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 7oz jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray an 8"x8" baking pan with non-stick cooking spray or lightly grease with butter and set aside.
- Add flour, sugar, walnuts and butter to a medium bowl. Using a pastry blender or a fork, combine butter with dry ingredients until mixture is combined. Alternatively, place ingredients in a food processor and pulse a few times until combined.
- Reserve 1 cup of the mixture and press the remaining mixture on the bottom of prepared baking pan to form crust. Press until mixture is firmly in place.
- Spread jam on top of crust and sprinkle with reserved flour mixture.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack completely. Cut into desired size squares.
Adapted from Yumsilicious Bakes originally from All Recipes