Sometimes things just happen.
With leftover Caesar Salad Dressing and a bowl of shredded chicken in the refrigerator I came up with this for dinner one night, and boy am I glad I did. I often cook chicken breast or even buy a rotisserie chicken from the store and cut it up over the weekend to have on hand for the week to toss in salads, pasta, you name it. It is also great to use if you need a quick weeknight dinner. Even if you don’t have chicken on hand, making this meal doesn’t take much time. You may even want to double the recipe and freeze a batch to have on hand for another time. If so, I would just freeze these without the sauce.
I have a thing for lasagna rolls. They are cute, fun and not as time consuming as making a big pan of lasagna so I thought making a Chicken Caesar Lasagna Rolls would be a good twist. Of course you can make these with store bought Caesar dressing, but it doesn’t take much time at all to whip some up. If you love Caesar and lasagna, you’ll love this combination. This dish is creamy from the blend of cheeses with a hint of Caesar. The Caesar is not overpowering, it just compliments this dish well. It is topped with a classic bechamel sauce that has a touch of additional Caesar dressing in the sauce that really brings all the flavors together.
I like to make these in a 9 or 10 inch round baking dish. You could even use a large pie dish or a square casserole dish as well. Serve with a tossed salad for a dinner the entire family will love.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ cup Caesar Salad dressing
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- Pinch of black pepper
- ½ cup Caesar Salad dressing
- 6 ounce lasagna noodles (about 8 whole noodles) cooked al dente
- 15 ounce part skim ricotta
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, divided
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually whisk in milk and Caesar dressing stirring constantly until sauce becomes thick and creamy. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a medium baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Season chicken with ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder and a pinch of pepper. Place on baking sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes until cooked thoroughly.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Shred chicken when cool to touch and place in a medium bowl. Toss with Caesar dressing.
- Spread ⅓ cup of prepared sauce on the bottom of a 9-inch round baking or pie dish.
- In a medium bowl stir together ricotta, egg yolk, ½ cup mozzarella, Parmesan, parsley and ¼ teaspoon garlic powder.
- Lay lasagna noodles on a large clean surface and spread each noodle evenly with ricotta mixture. Divide chicken evenly between noodles and sprinkle on top of ricotta mixture.
- Carefully roll lasagna noodles and place seam side down in baking dish.
- Pour remaining sauce evenly on top of lasagna rolls. Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until warm and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.