Add a Hawaiian twist to your next meatloaf with this sweet and tangy Slow Cooker Hawaiian-Style Meatloaf.
I have been doing a lot of slow cooking lately. Although I love to use my slow cooker year round, I find myself using it more in the winter. Stews, soups and winter comfort foods are perfect in the slow cooker and you certainly can’t beat the convenience.
One of the ultimate comfort foods is meatloaf. Who doesn’t love a warm slice of meatloaf topped with gravy and a side of mashed potatoes? I gave this meatloaf a Hawaiian twist with this Hawaiian-Style Meatloaf. A sweet and tangy marinade that combines ketchup, brown sugar, pineapple juice and a splash of liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce are mixed in with the meat. The flavor is outstanding and is not overly sweet.
What really adds the final touch to this is reserving some of the marinade to drizzle on top of the meatloaf before serving. The marinade alone is worth every bite. Move over ketchup, I also like to serve some of this yummy marinade on the side for dipping. Yes, I totally suggest doubling the marinade if you are serving this to dippers, as it is going to go fast!
Prepping this meal takes a matter of minutes and the rest of your day is spent getting things done. After a long day, dinner will be ready and waiting, thanks to the slow cooker. The result is perfectly cooked meatloaf that isn’t dry. Serve along with some grilled pineapple slices, roasted potatoes or even some sweet glazed baby carrots for a tasty dinner.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup white onion, diced
- ½ cup crushed pineapple, drained and juice reserved
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Pinch of black pepper
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup pineapple juice (from reserve)
- 4 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
- In a large bowl add beef, eggs, bread crumbs, onion, crushed pineapple, parsley, salt, garlic and pepper.
- In a small bowl mix ketchup, brown sugar, pineapple juice, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke and ginger until blended.
- Reserve ⅓ cup of the marinade for serving.
- Pour the remaining sauce in meat mixture and mix all the ingredients until combined and form mixture into a ball.
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray or liner.
- Place meat into slow cooker and form into a loaf.
- Brush 1-2 tablespoons of reserved marinade on top.
- Cover and cook on low for about 6-7 hours, until internal temperature of meat placed in the center is 160 degrees.
- Carefully remove loaf with a large spatula and place on serving platter or slice and serve directly in slow cooker.
- Drizzle cooked meatloaf with remaining marinade before serving.