Enjoy Mexican night right in your own kitchen with this easy Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Quesadilla — also great in tacos and burritos.
I love my weekly fix of Mexican food. Chipotle is one of my favorite Mexican splurges that we’ll have from time to time. Often, I just whip up Mexican inspired dishes in my kitchen from tacos, burritos or even a Chipotle-style burrito bowl.
Another Mexican favorite is Carnitas, which is pork that is traditionally cooked slowly in lard. I skip the lard, which many people do and slowly cook the pork in a delicious rub in the slow cooker. The result is a tender, shredded pork that is great not just for Quesadilla but can be used in tacos, burritos, you name it.
I love Mexican food because you can layer the flavors and really customize it to your liking. Whether you are having taco night or trying these Carnitas Quesadilla, create a “toppings bar” on your kitchen counter or in the center of the kitchen table that include toppings like guacamole, sour cream, beans, cheese, lettuce, salsa, cilantro, corn. It is like having Chipotle or any similar Mexican restaurant right in your own kitchen.
In my kitchen, everyone picks out the toppings on their quesadilla then I’ll toss in on my panini, a great way to make a quesadilla until it’s crispy and the cheese is nice and melted. My kids keep it simple, they just like cheese quesadilla but Mr. Mother Thyme and I load it up with black beans, corn and cheese. Top these off with fresh guacamole for a tasty dinner I always look forward to making again and again.
- 3 pounds pork shoulder
- 3 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoons garlic, minced (about 2-3 cloves)
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leafs
- 8-10 flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- Sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
- Black beans
- Refried beans
- In a small bowl mix chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- In another small bowl mix vegetable oil, liquid smoke, minced garlic and orange juice.
- Stir spice mixture into wet ingredients until combined.
- Brush mixture all over pork.
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray and place pork in slow cooker.
- Top with sliced onions and bay leaf.
- Cover and cook for 4-6 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.
- Remove pork from slow cooker and place on a large cutting board and allow to cool to touch.
- When cool to touch, shred pork using two forks.
- Remove bay leaves and place shredded pork back in slow cooker with juices. Cook for about 30 minutes longer.
- To serve, place desired amount of shredded pork on flour tortilla. Top with cheese and desired toppings, top with another flour tortilla.
- Place on panini or large skillet and cook until tortilla is crispy and cheese is melted.