I must be on a stuffed vegetable kick since last week I made Stuffed Peppers. My husband doesn’t like this simply because I don’t have any extra stuffing for him to eat. If he had it his way he would just eat all the stuffing and not the tomato. I love the juicy tomato in the bites of this delicious stuffing. Either way, its good!
I was inspired to create this recipe by my stepmother. She is an amazing cook and creates fantastic Italian dishes. We were actually talking this past weekend about the stuffed peppers and she shared a story with me about her mother’s stuffed tomatoes. This isn’t her recipe, but after she told me about stuffed tomatoes I was interested in creating stuffed tomatoes of my own.
Since my Stuffed Peppers were made with rice, I thought of using stuffing for the tomatoes combining it with zesty Italian sausage. The combination turned out great. Its the perfect dish to make for a fast weeknight dinner.
Italian Stuffed Tomatoes
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- 6 large firm tomatoes such as vine ripe or hot house, stems removed cleaned and seeded
- 1 1/3 cups mild Italian sausage, diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups unseasoned stuffing or day old bread cut in to cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry Italian seasoning
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet cook Italian sausage and set aside.
- In a large pot melt butter on medium heat. Combine onion, celery and garlic and cook until tender; about 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and stuffing, remove from heat and stir until combined. Add salt, pepper and italian seasoning to stuffing mixture. Add Italian sausage to stuffing and stir until combined.
- Add stuffing to each tomato and put in a large casserole dish.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top of each stuffed tomato.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Serve immediately