I’m so proud of myself.
I thought after sharing my Gingerbread Donut recipe during the holidays I would have bombarded you with at least a hundred different donut recipes by now.
I love making donuts especially baked and eliminating the frying. Baked donuts taste just as good as the fried donuts with a little less guilt.
For this delicious batch I substituted all-purpose or cake flour which I typically use in my donut recipes for whole wheat white flour. The flavor is fantastic and the combination of ricotta cheese in the mixture makes these donuts soft and delicate. I top these donuts with a Lemon Vanilla Bean Glaze. I love the combination of ricotta with lemon and blueberries. It makes for the perfect topping with just a hint of lemon.
I love bringing the donut shop right into my kitchen. No need to drive to pick up a dozen donuts that could have been sitting out for a while. Whipping up a fresh batch of tasty donuts and brewing a fresh cup of coffee makes for a delicious treat. These freeze well too so if you make a batch pop some in the freezer to grab and go during the week.
Baked Blueberry Ricotta Donuts
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat white flour (all-purpose flour can be substituted)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cup ricotta cheese (whole or part skim)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- Seeds from 1 vanilla bean (optional)
Lemon Vanilla Bean Glaze
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease donut pan that accommodates 6 average size donuts and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in dry ingredients and add in eggs, ricotta cheese, milk, vanilla extract and vanilla bean seeds and blend with a hand mixer or with large spoon until combined. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter in batter in donut pan 1/2 full. Bake in preheated oven for 8-11 minutes until lightly brown and firm. Cool on wire rack.
Lemon Vanilla Bean Glaze
- In a medium bowl combined confectioners sugar, lemon juice, milk, lemon zest and vanilla bean seeds and stir until creamy and smooth. Dip tops of donuts into glaze and set on wire rack until glaze sets.
Use fresh blueberries. If you use frozen and thawed blueberries your batter will become purple unless you drain the blueberries well.