I love black beans. I incorporate them into a lot of my cooking. I enjoy tossing them in soups and salads, in a variety of chicken and rice dishes and even just to snack on.
I also love making dishes into smaller individual size portions. Not only do individual size dishes look cute when serving but its great for portion control too. And who doesn’t love getting a dish served to them that is all for themselves?
Same kind of goes with these cute little sliders. I think sliders are cute and fun. They serve as great appetizers when entertaining, but also fun for weeknight dinner.
The term “slider” originated from the fast food restaurant White Castle. Thanks to Wikipedia I recently learned that myself. I have to love Wikipedia. Now only if Wikipedia was around when I was in school. When I was in school we still went to the library and got our information from encyclopedias and didn’t have little sliders to enjoy after school. Those were the days.
These tasty little black bean sliders are packed full of flavor and mighty good. The twins and Mr. Mother Thyme loved these. I topped these with a simple avocado mayonnaise. I love the combination of black beans and guacamole, so I thought making an avocado mayonnaise would be a nice alternative as well.
Black Bean Sliders with Avocado Mayonnaise
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 sliders or 6-8 burgers 1x
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup white onion (diced)
- 2 15.5 oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup corn (frozen and thawed)
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Avocado Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup mashed avocado (about 1/2 an avocado)
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise (or regular)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- Slider or regular hamburger buns for serving
- Optional Toppings
- Mashed avocado
- Red onion
- Sliced tomato
- Chopped cilantro
- Heat 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion and saute until onions are tender.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl mash black beans using a potato masher until desired consistency.
- Add in corn, ketchup, soy sauce, cumin, Sriracha, cilantro, salt and pepper, onion and garlic and until well combined.
- Fold in bread crumbs until mixture holds together. Form into patties and chill for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Cook burgers until crispy, about 5 minutes per side.
- Avocado Mayonnaise
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir until combined. Chill for 15 minutes and serve as desired.
- To assemble, place cooked burger on bun. Top with avocado mayonnaise and optional toppings.
Make it low carb – skip the bun and serve in a lettuce wrap!
Adapted from Bake Your Day