What is more comforting than a big bowl of warm soup. I have such a love for soup that I have a soup Pinterest board with some of my favorite soup recipes I have come across.
I make a big pot of soup at least once a week. Whether it is a new recipe I found and eager to try or a recipe that I have created time and time again, soup is always on the menu.
This Chicken Tortilla Soup has loads of flavor and use ingredients that are typically on hand. The soup doesn’t take long to make and like most soups the longer it simmers, the better.
This soup is bursting with flavor alone. Top this soup with a handful of fresh chopped cilantro, shredded monterey cheese, slices of avocado and a splash of lime juice for a delicious meal.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 32 oz low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 10 oz can Rotel or similar can of tomatoes and green chilies
- 15.5oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 flour tortillas cut into thin 1/2 inch strips
- 1 cup freshly chopped cilantro (for garnishing)
- 1 cup Shredded monterey cheese (for garnishing)
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (for garnishing)
- 1 avocado peeled and sliced or chopped (for garnishing)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (for garnishing)
- Toss chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and garlic powder.
- In a large sauce pot or dutch oven heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken and brown all sides. Remove chicken from sauce pot and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil back in sauce pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add in onion and garlic and cook until tender. Stir in crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, Rotel, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a low boil. Add in chicken and black beans reduce heat to a simmer until chicken is cooked thoroughly, at least 30 minutes.
- Before serving, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place tortilla strips on baking sheet and bake until crispy, about 7 minutes.
- Place a handful of toasted tortilla strips in a soup bowl top with soup. Garnish with shredded monterey cheese, fresh cilantro, sliced or chopped avocado, a splash of fresh lime juice and a dollop of sour cream.
For more heat add additional chili powder. For less heat, start with 1/2 teaspoon and add more until desired.