Simple, delicious and healthy Asparagus Soup. Top with freshly shaved Parmesan cheese or a dollop of crème fraîche and serve with a warm loaf of bread.
Spring has finally arrived here in Western New York.
Hopefully my friend Mother Nature won’t surprise us with a late spring snow.
It has been a wicked winter. Being from New York, I’m used to cold winters, but this winter has been brutal. I embrace the milder temperatures with open arms.
The past few weeks it has been nice to finally enjoy the outdoors. My kids love it! After months of being cooped up indoors, they love finally being able to play outside.
The first signs of spring at my house always seems to be a bit overwhelming. We have a large yard surrounded by trees, so we have a lot of yard work. I always dread it at first. Mr. Mother Thyme and I have been taking advantage of the nice weather preparing the flower beds for summer and now I feel a sense of accomplishment. The leaves have been cleared, the flower beds have been clean out, the daffodils are beginning to bloom, and now it feels like spring.
Spring is also the season for one of my favorite veggies, asparagus. I love it roasted or steamed and drizzled with a dijon vinaigrette or pureed into a simple, delicious and healthy soup. I love taking a break from working outside and enjoying this soup for lunch. This Asparagus Soup is rich and creamy, but doesn’t have a drop of cream in it. I love to top it with freshly shaved Parmesan cheese or a dollop of crème fraîche. Serve with a warm loaf of crusty bread (great for dipping) for a delicious and healthy bowl of soup.Print
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup white onion, diced (about 1 small onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 32 ounce chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 pound asparagus, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Bay leaf
- Freshly shaved Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Crème Fraîche, for serving
- Chopped chives, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently until onions are soft and translucent.
- Stir in garlic and cook for about a minute longer.
- Add in broth, asparagus, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until asparagus is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and discard bay leaf. Using a handheld blender puree soup until smooth or carefully pour into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with Parmesan cheese or crème fraîche and a pinch of chopped chives.
- Serving Size: 4-6 servings
This is an absolutely gorgeous soup that just screams springtime. Yum!
I love asparagus and this looks delicious!