An easy recipe for Pickled Onions naturally sweetened with raw honey. Perfect topped on salads, tacos or alone with a fork!
Are you ready for easy recipe day!
It’s funny how sometimes the easiest recipes are the ones I’m most excited about! I absolutely love pickled onions! They’re perfect on salads, tacos, you name it! I like them so much I’ll just eat them straight out of the jar. They’re also amazing in my Avocado Chicken Salad which is coming up later this week!
I actually created this recipe last spring and since then it’s been addicted to these. I was looking to create a pickled onion recipe that didn’t use sugar so after playing around I finally came up with this recipe that I absolutely love.
I found the best alternative to naturally sweetened pickled onions is raw honey. It adds just that touch of sweetness to these tangy pickled onions. I like Trader Joe’s or Thrive Markets raw honey. It’s so good and a staple item in my kitchen.
Making these pickled onions couldn’t be any easier. You just 1/2 pound red onions, so about 1 large or 2 small onions, some apple cider vinegar, raw honey and salt. I also like to add in some peppercorns into the brine but it’s not necessary. Once you’ve gathered up all the ingredients you’re ready to get pickling! You’ll just add the vinegar, honey and salt into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat until the honey dissolves then pour over the sliced red onions and let the magic happen. Within 30 minutes you’ve got pickled onions ready to use but if you can resist waiting just a little longer they’ll be even better!
Once you’ve pickled the onions add the onions without the brine to the large mason jar then pour the juice until it covers all the onions. Cover and keep in the refrigerator for a week or two.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 -2 cups 1x
- 1/2 pound red onions (1 large or 2 small, thinly sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns (optional)
- Place sliced onions in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Bring vinegar, honey and salt to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until honey dissolves.
- Pour over onions, add peppercorns and cover loosely for about 30 minutes.
- Add onions without brine to a large mason jar then pour brine over onions until covered.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 weeks
My husband will love this!