If you follow me on Facebook or Twitter you may have seen my little tease of these tomatoes last weekend.
I served these at Mr. Mother Thymes birthday soiree last weekend and they were fabulous. Sweet and juicy cherry tomatoes stuffed with pesto and cream cheese. I came up with the idea since I had extra pesto on hand from my Tomato Pizza Pie I featured last week. This is a great way to use ingredients and not let them go to waste.
In my house, pesto is one thing that is always used quickly. It can be used in so many dishes to add incredible flavor. Pesto is great to toss in pasta, add to garlic bread (oh yes, you need to try that) or to top on chicken just to name a few.
These are perfect to make and to serve while entertaining or to make for a quick snack for yourself or kids.
Pesto and Cream Cheese Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes
- 4oz cream cheese, regular or light, softened
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto store bought or recipe follows
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1-2 large garlic cloves
- ½ cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Cut tops of tomatoes and clean the inside of tomatoes and remove seeds
- In a medium bowl combine cream cheese and pesto and stir until well blended. Add spoonfuls of cream cheese mixture in to each tomato.
- Combine the basil, garlic, cheese, pine nuts in your food processor. Stream in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Process to desired consistency. If you like not as think, just add a little more olive oil.
The Basil Pesto recipe will yield more than what is needed for this recipe.