- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat white flour (all-purpose flour can be substituted)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cup ricotta cheese (whole or part skim)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- Seeds from 1 vanilla bean (optional)
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease donut pan that accommodates 6 average size donuts and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in dry ingredients and add in eggs, ricotta cheese, milk, vanilla extract and vanilla bean seeds and blend with a hand mixer or with large spoon until combined. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter in batter in donut pan 1/2 full. Bake in preheated oven for 8-11 minutes until lightly brown and firm. Cool on wire rack.
- In a medium bowl combined confectioners sugar, lemon juice, milk, lemon zest and vanilla bean seeds and stir until creamy and smooth. Dip tops of donuts into glaze and set on wire rack until glaze sets.
Use fresh blueberries. If you use frozen and thawed blueberries your batter will become purple unless you drain the blueberries well.